• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I enjoy all of your fine pens Martin, every one of them. Lately, I have been particularly dawn to the pens which have a textured surface. You make a variety of different ones, and each seems especially nice. Thank you!

Alan Morrison

Martin, I'm fed up thinking of more superlatives for your pens, and now you go and put three of them up.
Your second and third pens are really classy and up to your usual high standard.
The first pen looks like you dropped it into a fire..... only joking though it probably looks ten times better

TG Design

Martin, awesome pen! I have always wanted to create a pen like the one above (3.jpg). I have some green bamboo, how long must it dry out? What finish do you use to get that rich brown? Love your work!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

manupropria

Thank you very much. Ideally bamboo is cut in early Spring, when the plant contains little oil.
Then it is dried for a year.
Before I start work I heat it in the oven at 130 degree celsius for an hour or so. This thrives out the rest of the oil and shrink the material which makes it harder and more stabil. The color is achieved by applying several layers of transparent Urushi which finally is ground flat and polished

Top Bottom