Manu Propria Pens - Kimono

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

I recently noticed that Bonham's offers a Dunhill Namiki Fountain Pen from the 1930's with an interesting "Kawarinuri" experimental Urushi lacquer. The description says rather amateurish that its Maki-e but it's a Kawarinuri.

Maki-e is one of many techniques within the Urushi trade. Maki = Sprinkling, e = picture. Kawarinuri pens are rare to be found in Auctions.

However, since my work is focussed on rediscovering old and developing new Urushi techniques I tried to recreate a copy.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/190...33ZFo5icXbvSOM

Best regards,

Martin

Attachments

• _MG_9596.jpg
    _MG_9596.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 184
  • _MG_9597.jpg
    _MG_9597.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 239
  • _MG_9598.jpg
    _MG_9598.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 207
  • _MG_9599.jpg
    _MG_9599.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 215
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Hi Martin, beautiful pen! I believe I like your version more than the one that is up for auction. Does 'kawarinuri' just mean experimental lacquer, or is there some other more specific technical meaning to the word?
BTW - I noticed I can't open your website the last couple of days. Is it down?

manupropria

Hi there,

Kawari-Nuri" is experimental lacquer but also called "Saya-Nuri" sword sheeth lacquer.
In early Edo Period the Shogunate banned the use of Maki-e for the lower classes.
This was the beginning of Kawarinuri. The lacquer artisans started to create striking lacquer versions being applied on sword sheeths of low ranking Samurai.
Website: I missed to pay the 15.- annual fee to the host, no idea how this happened.
It will be up again within short

Teodor

Really beautiful, I saw this one long time ago and still thinking on how to make it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom