Manu Propria Fountain Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

Hi,

I would like to introduce to you one of the fountain pens I recently finished.
It is an ebonite pen with 18 kt gold nib by Jowo. The pen is finished with an urushi lacquer technique called "Roiro-Shiage-Tame-Negoro-Nuri".

Thank you,

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 390
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 288
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 303
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 438
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I am very impressed with your work shown here. The overall style is very nice, and very well complemented by the unique finish. I have no plans to attempt this finish, but see much in the way of inspiration with the design and quality of your work. Thank you for showing.

manupropria

Hello,

Thank you.
As a basic information: Urushi is a natural lacquer and needs to cure/harden/dry over a period of 24 hours in the "furô", a room with constant temperature of +/- 25°C and relative humidity of 65 to 85%.

The logo was pad printed with urushi lacquer and sprinkled with copper powder (maki-e) on the urushi surface after grinding but before "uwazuri".

Uwazuri is the term for final preparation for mirror polish. Sevaral times trasparent high quality urushi is rubbed into the surface and wiped off completely, then hardened in the "furô" for 24 hours. This is repeated 6 to 7 times. Then the urushi surface is polished with a special polishing powder called "migako" and rapeseed oil. After cleaning again transparent urushi is rubbed on and wiped off. After hardening the surface get a final polish by migako and the finger tips.

Attachments

• Secret Signature.jpg
    Secret Signature.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 159

tgsean

That is an amazing pen, and what an excellent finish. I must admit, I've never heard of this finish. Sounds Japanese, forgive my ignorance.

Top Bottom