Manhattan kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jds26

Hello,

I made this pen with a manhattan kit, but the tip is very loose and officially won't stay in tube.

I'm not sure if getting a new kit will solve this, but is there another kit that uses the same size tube (2 3/16" long, 3/8" diameter) that I could remove these components and assemble to a new kit?

Attachments

• Manhattan Pen.jpg
    Manhattan Pen.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

When you say tip what are you referring to.? This will help us. Also how loose is loose. Many times we use red or blue locktite to glue metal to metal on pen kits. Maybe something to consider. That looks like a clone of the Sierra kit so many of those kits use the same parts.

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum.
If it's the nib end that is loose then a wee drop of adhesive, as JT says, will hold it in place.

Alan

magpens

Hello,

I made this pen with a manhattan kit, but the tip is very loose and officially won't stay in tube.

I'm not sure if getting a new kit will solve this, but is there another kit that uses the same size tube (2 3/16" long, 3/8" diameter) that I could remove these components and assemble to a new kit?

@jds26
Just a (significant) correction:
The Manhattan pen kit tube diameter is 27/64", according to the Rockler instruction sheet for that pen kit.

This is an important fact because it means that your tubed barrel could be used on the Berea Sierra pen kit, on the PSI Gatsby pen kit, and on other kits with same barrel length and brass tube diameter. There are actually quite a few other kits that use the same brass tube diameter and brass tube length. .

But, having said that, the bigger problem might be that your particular brass tube could turn out to be a loose fit on all of those alternative kits.

As @jttheclockman said, your best bet could very well be to apply glue onto the appropriate hardware parts where the loose fit exist.

Be very sure that you know what you are doing before you apply the glue.

For one thing:
You have to be aware that your finished pen may eventually require a refill replacement.
You must not glue parts together if the design of the pen requires them to be separated eventually for refill replacement.
Be sure that you bear this in mind before gluing things together.

The instruction sheet that I am referring to is here:

I think that the "tip end fit" must in fact remain somewhat loose so that the pen barrel can be twisted to extend and retract the refill.

The "upper end fit" may very well be the problem. . At that end, the the top of the refill transmission should press, rather tightly, into the cap of the pen.
It would be that end where the Locktite ( jttheclockman's suggestion) or glue would be required . . . NOT THE LOWER, or TIP END.
But be careful not to get glue on the threads of the transmission.

I would advise you to carefully check that out, and carefully compare your pen with the detailed assembly diagram in the instruction sheet.

Last edited:

jds26

@jds26
Just a (significant) correction:
The Manhattan pen kit tube diameter is 27/64", according to the Rockler instruction sheet for that pen kit.

This is an important fact because it means that your tubed barrel could be used on the Berea Sierra pen kit, on the PSI Gatsby pen kit, and on other kits with same barrel length and brass tube diameter. There are actually quite a few other kits that use the same brass tube diameter and brass tube length. .

But, having said that, the bigger problem might be that your particular brass tube could turn out to be a loose fit on all of those alternative kits.

As @jttheclockman said, your best bet could very well be to apply glue onto the appropriate hardware parts where the loose fit exist.

Be very sure that you know what you are doing before you apply the glue.

For one thing:
You have to be aware that your finished pen may eventually require a refill replacement.
You must not glue parts together if the design of the pen requires them to be separated eventually for refill replacement.
Be sure that you bear this in mind before gluing things together.

The instruction sheet that I am referring to is here:

I think that the "tip end fit" must in fact remain somewhat loose so that the pen barrel can be twisted to extend and retract the refill.

The "upper end fit" may very well be the problem. . At that end, the the top of the refill transmission should press, rather tightly, into the cap of the pen.
It would be that end where the Locktite ( jttheclockman's suggestion) or glue would be required . . . NOT THE LOWER, or TIP END.
But be careful not to get glue on the threads of the transmission.

I would advise you to carefully check that out, and carefully compare your pen with the detailed assembly diagram in the instruction sheet.
Thanks everyone. It is the lower portion that is falling out. And it is falling out, no friction at all.

And good thing I measured the tube late last night (*sigh* - measuring the inside diameter). Re-checked the O.D. and it's 27/64ths.

I may just disassemble this end piece off, and use the blank on a gatsby kit.

egnald

Greetings. I think Ed has spotted the problem. Part of the twist mechanisim, the transmission, isn't visible in your picture. Either it is stuck in the Cap/Finial or is missing. The transmission screws into the coupler and into the tip. Usually, the whole bottom assembly slides up into the tube and is captured (by friction) between the transmission and the cap. (The black plastic of the refill should not be visible as it is in your picture).

Here are a couple of pictures that I think might help. - Dave
Manhattan Screen Capture.JPG

jttheclockman

Last edited:

jds26

We need more info. If you like to have answers we are trying to help but need more photos or info. Here are the instructions.

https://go.rockler.com/msds/manhattan-pen-instructions-48585.pdf

I believe that is a Sierra kit and not a Gatsby kit

https://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/sierra-ballpoint-pen-gold.html

Basically same instructions

https://www.bereahardwoods.com/pdf/SierraPen.pdf
Hi Everyone. Sorry for being MIA.

It is a manhattan kit (did a pen class with my F.I.L for his birthday last year and that was the kit we made).

I did figure out what my issue was...and Egnald, that was it. Somehow, the transmission got stuck in the cap.

I may just get a new Gatsby or Sierra kit to use the blank on.

Thanks again everyone.

jds26

You do have a transmission in the body, don't you? That is the part that should thread onto the lower assembly and hold the pen together.
That's what I was missing. I disassembled (i.e: smashed out the end with a cold punch), and the transmission was stuck in the cap. Not sure how or why, or how I wasn't able to thread it back on, but I got it out. I'm going to order a berea kit soon and re-use the blank.

jds26

Greetings. I think Ed has spotted the problem. Part of the twist mechanisim, the transmission, isn't visible in your picture. Either it is stuck in the Cap/Finial or is missing. The transmission screws into the coupler and into the tip. Usually, the whole bottom assembly slides up into the tube and is captured (by friction) between the transmission and the cap. (The black plastic of the refill should not be visible as it is in your picture).

Here are a couple of pictures that I think might help. - DaveView attachment 327712
Thank you. I was missing the transmission. I ended up finding it in the cap when I took it off. For the life of me I couldn't get it out. I'm going to order a different kit to use the blank.

jttheclockman

This happens to be a common problem with certain sierra line kits. What happens is the tranny is screwed to the adapter and if it is a body turn to retract the refill, people start over turning because the tranny can spin in the tube. The more they do this the more the tranny rises up into the cap end. The top or final style this is not a problem. There are threads here as to how to get the tranny out easily. Here is an older thread that talks about this.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/trannys.168199/

jds26

This happens to be a common problem with certain sierra line kits. What happens is the tranny is screwed to the adapter and if it is a body turn to retract the refill, people start over turning because the tranny can spin in the tube. The more they do this the more the tranny rises up into the cap end. The top or final style this is not a problem. There are threads here as to how to get the tranny out easily. Here is an older thread that talks about this.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/trannys.168199/
Oh how I wish I would have searched that thread before my klein screwdriver on my desk was used as the punch to get out the cap and transmission....oh well.

Top Bottom