Mandrels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Before I go crazy, anyone done the shuttle pen kit and if so are the bushings a different size mandrel? Also are all WoodTurningz themed kits use the same mandrel? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Well John I can't answer your mandrel question but I have a question for you! In another thread you said we're all weird in this hobby. I'm thinking crazy would come before weird. As maybe crazy for dabbling in it and weird for staying in. Just a thought. Take Care.

jttheclockman

Well John I can't answer your mandrel question but I have a question for you! In another thread you said we're all weird in this hobby. I'm thinking crazy would come before weird. As maybe crazy for dabbling in it and weird for staying in. Just a thought. Take Care.
Oh you are so right my friend. I am crazy for staying in this and everyday I seem to get deeper. For some reason I was on WoodTurningz site and bought a bunch of themed kits like the shuttle, chess, nautical and lighthouse. Now of course I did not buy one kit, I bought several with extra tubes and the whole nine yards. Do I need them, no. But I have been making a ton of themed watch part pens and keep coming up with ideas. I can not shut this part of my brain down. Just last night laying in bed I thought of 2 great designs for segmented pens because I had them on my mind because of the person doing the laser segmented stuff. It is a sickness and I have it bad. Help me!!!

By the way I just called WoodTurnings and they said it is the same standard mandrel. Must have bad bushings and they will send a new set. Now I probably could turn between center but not into that right now.

Kenny Durrant

I would love to help you out with your sickness but I'm just as bad. It's hard to help others when you can't even help yourself. I guess our only option is to stay here and enjoy the ride together. I've heard that misery loves company. Ha Ha

egnald

Hi John,

I haven't made that particular kit; however, I have found some differences in mandrel sizes depending on the manufacturer. Of course there is the "A mandrel" also called the "standard" and "7mm" mandrel. It is specified as 0.247 inches +0 / -0.002 inches in diameter.

The old Berea "B" mandrel was specified it at 0.291 inches +0 / -0.0002 inches.

Are the bushings just a little snug or just a little loose? or is it a gross size difference?

Personally, I use two mandrel sizes. Size "D" Drill Rod is specified as 0.246-inches +/- 0.0005 inches typical and is a very good replacement for most standard 0.247-inch "A" mandrel shafts. However, I have found that some of the sizing bushings have through holes that are on the small side of the tolerance and fit too tight on my "D" Drill Rod. For those, I use a "C" Drill Rod which has a slightly smaller diameter of 0.242-inches +/-0.0005 inches. I have also found at times that sometimes the problem is simply a buildup/ridge of plating on the hole entry and exit of the bushing. Electroplating likes to build up becoming almost burr-like on any sharp edge of what is being plated, sort of like the entry and exit of the holes through a busing.

Regards,
Dave

jttheclockman

Hi John,

I haven't made that particular kit; however, I have found some differences in mandrel sizes depending on the manufacturer. Of course there is the "A mandrel" also called the "standard" and "7mm" mandrel. It is specified as 0.247 inches +0 / -0.002 inches in diameter.

The old Berea "B" mandrel was specified it at 0.291 inches +0 / -0.0002 inches.

Are the bushings just a little snug or just a little loose? or is it a gross size difference?

Personally, I use two mandrel sizes. Size "D" Drill Rod is specified as 0.246-inches +/- 0.0005 inches typical and is a very good replacement for most standard 0.247-inch "A" mandrel shafts. However, I have found that some of the sizing bushings have through holes that are on the small side of the tolerance and fit too tight on my "D" Drill Rod. For those, I use a "C" Drill Rod which has a slightly smaller diameter of 0.242-inches +/-0.0005 inches. I have also found at times that sometimes the problem is simply a buildup/ridge of plating on the hole entry and exit of the bushing. Electroplating likes to build up becoming almost burr-like on any sharp edge of what is being plated, sort of like the entry and exit of the holes through a busing.

Regards,
Dave
Dave I use the standard 7mm. I talked to John at the site and he said that is the size the bushing hole is. They are super tight in that I can not get past the threads on the mandrel with either bushing. He said sometimes there is a burr but I checked and no burr. Now I probably could run a reamer through it but why bother. I will set aside and see the new set he sends me. Never had this problem before. I know somewhere I have an old slimline mandrel and believe that was the second size you mentioned and that is why I never used it. But like everything else here I have no idea where it is. As I was looking through supplies I found things I forgot I had and pulled them out to make future pens. But of course I will set aside and once again the process repeats. My Mom always told me do not get old. I wish she told me that sooner. :)

Lew

I would love to help you out with your sickness but I'm just as bad. It's hard to help others when you can't even help yourself. I guess our only option is to stay here and enjoy the ride together. I've heard that misery loves company. Ha Ha
Maybe we could start a Pen Turners Anonymous meeting and have a 12 step program like AA.

qquake

All of the Woodturningz kits I've turned, including the Shuttle, have used the same mandrel. It's one of the standard mandrels from Woodcraft or the Pen Mandrel System from Woodpeckers. I made the Shuttle pen with the Woodcraft mandrel, which measures 0.24". In fact, I measured three or four old mandrel shafts, and the Woodpeckers mandrel, and they all measure the same, 0.24". If I can find the Shuttle bushings (I used them in 2021), I'll measure the ID. But if I made the pen, the bushings did fit the mandrel. I'm thinking your bushings are defective, if they don't fit on your mandrel. You should contact Woodturningz, they're very responsive.

Attachments

• 045_220-320-400-600.jpg
    045_220-320-400-600.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 21

jttheclockman

All of the Woodturningz kits I've turned, including the Shuttle, have used the same mandrel. It's one of the standard mandrels from Woodcraft or the Pen Mandrel System from Woodpeckers. I made the Shuttle pen with the Woodcraft mandrel, which measures 0.24". In fact, I measured three or four old mandrel shafts, and the Woodpeckers mandrel, and they all measure the same, 0.24". If I can find the Shuttle bushings (I used them in 2021), I'll measure the ID. But if I made the pen, the bushings did fit the mandrel. I'm thinking your bushings are defective, if they don't fit on your mandrel. You should contact Woodturningz, they're very responsive.
Well Jim I have you to blame for this fiasco. That is right you my friend. You keep showing these pens and sometimes they hit home with me and next thing you know it I have to order them. :) Stop this insanity now. No really it was some time ago you did the shuttle pen and I remembered it so looked it up here and next thing you know it I am ordering(got the 3 pen starter kit. But then I had to order the flame blank you used and thank goodness you put the name of it in your thread. But getting back to the bushings, yes I called them and spoke with John. He said they are the standard 7mm mandrel bushings. I told him my story that I could not get either one past the threads. he suggested maybe a burr and I told him no burr. So he sent me a new set and I am waiting. So if you see the same shuttle pen it is not yours so do not panic. I stole your idea. ;) thanks.

qquake

Well Jim I have you to blame for this fiasco. That is right you my friend. You keep showing these pens and sometimes they hit home with me and next thing you know it I have to order them. :) Stop this insanity now. No really it was some time ago you did the shuttle pen and I remembered it so looked it up here and next thing you know it I am ordering(got the 3 pen starter kit. But then I had to order the flame blank you used and thank goodness you put the name of it in your thread. But getting back to the bushings, yes I called them and spoke with John. He said they are the standard 7mm mandrel bushings. I told him my story that I could not get either one past the threads. he suggested maybe a burr and I told him no burr. So he sent me a new set and I am waiting. So if you see the same shuttle pen it is not yours so do not panic. I stole your idea. ;) thanks.
Sorry I'm such a bad influence. LOL

I'm surprised you remembered this pen. It's been over two years. Photos are my journal, and I always list the blank name if it has one.

jttheclockman

Sorry I'm such a bad influence. LOL

I'm surprised you remembered this pen. It's been over two years. Photos are my journal, and I always list the blank name if it has one.
Can not explain it. I usually am not a themed pen kit guy but just got the bug. I guess it is because I am going through a phase now with doing some themed watch part casting pens. You have some unique pens that I have never seen the kits and you do so many different ones. So I do follow your work. keep up the good job.

jttheclockman

Well to button up this thread, I received the new set of bushings today. Have to say this is the first time I have had trouble with any type bushing. These came in and they too would not fit over mandrel but were better. They just did not slide on after the threads. So I took my tube reamer and reamed the end that goes into the kit and they worked well after that. There must have been a burr on both of them. Must be the way they cut them. better yes but not great to have to do that. So I will proceed to make the shuttle kits. Hope the kits go well. I do not like using kits from China and Rizheng but at times you try them because no other company is making as many themed kits as they.

qquake

I didn't realize some of Woodturningz kits were Rizheng. That's disappointing.

I have had bushings like that, that I've had to fix with a reamer.

jttheclockman

I didn't realize some of Woodturningz kits were Rizheng. That's disappointing.

I have had bushings like that, that I've had to fix with a reamer.
Now there are some and believe the Shuttle is one exclusive to Woodturners. Most of those themed kits are.

Top Bottom