Mandrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NAgrandpa

I was trying to turn a coffee scoop using 60 degree bushings and it did not turn true, (could not get bushing centered). It appears I will have to use a mandrel of some sort. I have seen (in catalogues) the different mandrels that are adjustable etc. What is the best mandrel to get that will stay straight and allow me to turn true. I also want to turn closed end.

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

If you're using 60 degree centers and 60 degree cut bushings, there is nothing to line up. They seat together and are self centering basically.

monophoto

I agree with Dan - something doesn't sound right. Why was the turning 'not true'? Were you using a kit with a tube, or were you doing kitless?

If you are doing a kit with a tube, treat it just like a pen - glue the tube in the blank, square off the ends, and then put it between cone centers. The cone will self-center in the tube.

If you are doing kitless, then you just put the blank between centers. I prefer a 'stebcenter'-type drive center with multiple teeth on the periphery and a spring-loaded pin, but an ordinary spur drive will also work. A cone center is fine for the tailstock, but you can also use a cup center with a pin.

NAgrandpa

Thanks Guys, I apologize for being unclear.

I tried to use the required bushings for the scoop. For the head, I was able to use my 7mm 60 degree bushing as it went thru the head bushing into the tube.

The tail bushing is used to make a tenon, designed to go on a mandrel.

The 7mm 60 degree bushing would not go thru this tail bushing into the tube. I tried to fit up (Pressure fit) I though it looked pretty good till I got thru sanding, it was out of round.

In case like this before I Just used my 60 degree bushings into the tube and measured with a caliper till I go it close and sanded to the right size. May be what I have to do with these.

I hope this make it clearer? But I still want to do some closed end turnings, does this require a special mandrel?

NAgrandpa

The 60 degree bushing has to go into the tube via a mandrel bushing or directly. This case neither into the tail.

Just please give me any info as to a mandrel for closed in turning.

Top Bottom