Mandrel issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rickhogan

I have a PSI 1" 8tpi screw in mandrel. It works great and seems well made.

The mandrel shaft (threaded on both ends) has this nasty habit of coming unscrewed from the live stock end when turning (mostly when rounding a new blank or sanding.) The threads on that end appear to have grease/oil on them. I was going to use brake clean or something similar to remove the lubricant, and put a fit of loctite blue on the threads to keep it solid but not permanent.

Anyone see any problems with this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I too don't see a problem with this. However, I prefer a Morse taper adjustable mandrel or 1/4" collet chuck.

MedWoodWorx

The mandrel shaft (threaded on both ends) has this nasty habit of coming unscrewed from the live stock end when turning (mostly when rounding a new blank or sanding.) The threads on that end appear to have grease/oil on them. I was going to use brake clean or something similar to remove the lubricant, and put a fit of loctite blue on the threads to keep it solid but not permanent.

Try a bit of thread glue

hallelujahal

Go for it… should sort the problem. Acetone to remove the grease then loctite blue should be sufficient 👍

Top Bottom