Man This Artic Snap is for the Penguins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

DrD, you should live up north one winter to see what cold is really like. A radio station DJ in Rockford, IL got excited because the temp was going to get above zero! Our area of east TN is to get into the upper teens tomorrow morning. I've been waiting for this weather since March. Have a habit of breathing several times a minute.

Reactions: DrD

hcpens

Yes, I can just image, I was going to retire and move north around Holland MI. But I stayed here in Texas, and man am I glad.

DrD

DrD, you should live up north one winter to see what cold is really like. A radio station DJ in Rockford, IL got excited because the temp was going to get above zero! Our area of east TN is to get into the upper teens tomorrow morning. I've been waiting for this weather since March. Have a habit of breathing several times a minute.
Yeah, as we moved around as a consultant, spent almost 3 years in Alliance, OH. Prior to that, the longest 18 years of my life was the 18 months we lived in Appleton, WI, and then as some type of necessary atonement for moving back south, we spent another 18 months in Cincinnati, followed by a 3 stint in a western burb of Chicago. The day the movers loaded us up for the move back it was -8 deg F with a good 2 ft of snow over about 6 inches of ice. A side story about Appleton: one day in March, it warmed up to 0 deg F and our 4 boys went out to play without their winter coats. When asked about this, their response was that it was warm; maybe, comparatively speaking, but it was till 32 deg below freezing!!!!! If we wanted something to freeze rapidly we would not put it in the freezer, we would lay it on the hood of my Bronco in the garage.

Been there bought the 3 layered ski coats. So, about the only reason we didn't go to the Caribbean, is 1) my wife of 45 years hates the ocean, and 2) having lived a number of years outside the USA, we did not want to do that again. Of course, this is all tongue in cheek about the miseries of the cold snap as felt in NE Mississippi. My heart goes out to those are likely to face bitter cold.

Well boy's (and I mean that in the kindest tone). Here in Montana we've already gotten over 6' of snow where I live since October. Yesterday when I got up it was 0, that's right zero with 3" of new snow fall overnight. Today is the first day we've been above freezing in probably over a week. There is a warming trend on the way, we'll be in the very low 50's for a couple of days. So put on the flannel pants, t-shirt, sweat shirt (times 2), maybe a jacket and your best beenie. Don't forget your gloves. I own a pair of electric gloves that keep my fingers toasty. I've been told we're going to have one heck of a winter.
In all seriousness though, be safe, keep warm and those who aren't used to freezing weather, watch where you put your feet. Slips, trips and falls can really ruin your day. And for my last bit of advice, don't touch frozen metal with bare skin, especially your tongue o_O

Woodchipper

Cincinnati, OH- January, 1982, temp was minus 41 with a wind chill of minus 61. City buses ringed in the Bengals stadium so you could get warm and go back to the game. Hospitals were warned of hypothermia and frost bite throughout the city. Cold never really bothered me. Now, the colder the air, the more oxygen for me...up to the saturation point.

studioseven

We turn on our outside Christmas decorations December first. Today was my last day off until then so I was outside all day in 15 degree weather. Wasn't too bad though. I wore those heating pads in my gloves and shoes, snow pants and an insulated flannel shirt. The frozen ground was a challenge. I have a lot of displays that I have to stake down. The ground never used to be frozen this early. Last year was the first I can remember. Also, I have to wait until March to take the displays down because they are frozen rock hard to the ground. I moved here in 1980 from Florida. I never would have if someone had told me how cold it can get.

Seven

Kenny Durrant

My first thought is there's a difference between North and South. In the north it's supposed to get cold and snow and all that winter stuff. In the South it's supposed to get hot and dry during the summer. I've noticed when it's during the winter we southerners complain about the cold and the northerners laugh but during the summer it gets a little warm and the people up north don't think it's quite so funny. My dad grew up in Montana and I grew up in Texas. Texas will always be home but Yellowstone National Park and around that area is a very beautiful place. So now my dream is that as soon as I come into some money I plan on buying a place up in that area and keeping the house I have now and following the geese. When they head north I know it's fixing to get hot so I'll spend the summer up there. When they fly south I know it's fixing to get cold so it's back to Texas. It doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon so I'll just complain with my brothers and sisters when it's that time of year for me to do so. If this story moves you to the point you might feel sorry for me P.M. me and I'll send you my address to mail a check so I can start purchasing my second home "Up North". Thanks

Woodchipper

FWIW, Cleveland, TN is at the top edge of fronts coming from the Gulf and the bottom edge of fronts coming from Up Nawth. As a result, our weather can change in a matter of hours. March, 1993 had a Fridday in the low 70s. During the night, we got 21 inches of snow and high winds. Rural places were without power for 10 days. We lived in central NC. My parents lived in Reading, PA. It was 10 degrees warmer in PA than NC!
Edit- Kenny, check's in the mail.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Kenny,
I remember living in Ft Worth ('75-'80), and I think it was 1978, Feb 14, it hit 78° in the afternoon; Next morning we had snow on the ground and it wasn't melting from the ground up! That "Blue Norther" came in strong and fast.

All of this northerners cold - southerners hot weather reminds me of 1992 in an Osaka suburb. Osaka is on the level with Dallas - Memphis, but it is on the coast. Temps year round was roughly as it is in the mid-south. Being on the coast, we had a good dose of humidity year round. My family had just moved into that neighborhood; I heard an American voice calling out to me. He had just moved to the neighborhood from Minneapolis with his Japanese wife. We quickly became very close friends. It was summer time. In the fall as it began to cool and we started wearing light jackets, he kept telling us how cold it got in Minneapolis, and he was still going around in short sleeve shirts as it dropped down into the lower 50s. "You guys don't know what cold is", he said several times over the fall months.

Then Winter hit! 30's and a few upper 20's. One day he came over and asked, "can I stay over here until bed time?" I said "Sure, but what's the problem?" He replied " Japanese don't always heat their houses except when guests are there and it is COLD in our house."
Me: "But it is only in the lower 30s!"
Him: "This is a DIFFERENT Kind of Cold". "We don't have HIGH Humidity Cold in Minneapolis!" "This stuff goes straight to the bone!"

Kenny Durrant

I've forgotten about the different kinds of colds and hots. What did your buddy do at bedtime? He might have been better off to ask you over to his house so he could warm it up so he could get some sleep. He could've offered you something to drink to knock the chill off and he could of had some to help wash down the crow he was eating. Ha Ha. From what I'm gathering from all the talk everyone has good and bad weather except maybe Hawaii.

randyrls

When I was in the Navy; I volunteered to "winter over" near Point Barrow Alaska. It is so cold there that the Eskimos (Inuit) go south for the winter!

MTViper

I was born and raised in Texas. Went to college in Colorado. Lived and traveled all over in 21 years in the AF. Spent 10 years in Montana. Then moved back to Texas to take care of my aging parents. Been here 20 years now. I still laugh, when the thermometer hits 50 here, everyone but me puts on their parkas. I put on long pants. Just depends on what you get used to.

pshrynk

My wife and I frequently vacation in Cozumel, Mexico. We get there in February and chuckle amongst ourselves that the local are all wearing long p[ants and sweaters while we are running around in shorts and t-shirt or bikini top. A 90 degree temp change will have that effect.

I look particularly striking in a bikini top, BTW.

sbwertz

I had a friend in Wisconsin who sent me an email one year "Spring is coming...I can see the top of the round pen!"

A round pen has six or seven foot tall sides.

And it is 82 in Phoenix today.

I had a friend in Wisconsin who sent me an email one year "Spring is coming...I can see the top of the round pen!"

A round pen has six or seven foot tall sides.

And it is 82 in Phoenix today.

I was in Yuma AZ on business one time and while going from place to place I asked the guy driving me around why everyone was wearing heavy jackets and beanies. This was in mid Feb and the temps were in the mid to upper 60's and zero humidity. He laughed and told me that "This is our winter, we have very thin blood". Went back to my hotel, The Holiday Inn, and asked the Bartender what people did in town after work? He told me "Your doing it". I kept that bar stool and Bartender company for some time.

Top Bottom