Mammoth Tooth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
No, this isn't a pen, but it was my first time turning mammoth tooth. I wanted to start with a kit that had a smaller hole and figured the letter opener would look good. What are your thoughts? How do people turn mammoth tooth? What are some tips to keep it from breaking, especially during the drilling process?
F2203F60-B544-4F6E-89DE-B250E9A32B48.jpeg

Mart

That's a beautiful piece. Haven't yet tried it on a lathe or for a pen so I don't have experience with drilling a long hole in it. But I used mammoth tooth for knife scales. I glued a sheet of Mylar on each side and rubbed the piece with some CA glue before starting to work on it. Drilling the screw holes; I went very slowly and pulled out the bit frequently. Cutting it to shape; I used the bandsaw but again, went very slowly and let it cool every 1/4 inch of cutting.
The main thing is to not let it get hot. And if you notice any cracks or week spots then fill it with CA before working with it. Also be aware that there may be hard minerals or stones embedded in it so, have to go slow and pay close attention to how it feels when cutting or drilling.
It'll be a challenge to turn but it's on my bucket list.
Mart

PenPal

Tanner my only experience has been with the one piece cast,it came from Russia via Canada,collected in Cobalt soil hence the colour. I also cut the blank with a small three wheel bandsaw with a fine metal blade. Now drilling I used this drill (wunderkinder,drills files etc) available in your country or likened other drills to near size then a normal steel drill. The bands of clear you see are pure silica so go slow when you hit these. I turned over 4-6 hours on the lathe using a 4 faced carborundum cutter. When I had blunted the four cut faces I removed from the handle ,placed face down on a diamond file, a mate used this method but 20 new cutters,my Scottish Ancestors cringed so I sharpened mine. Any more info that might be of interest PM me mate.

Peter

Attachments

• DSCF8602.JPG
    DSCF8602.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF8603.JPG
    DSCF8603.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom