Mammoth tooth blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

I have a customer wanting a pen made from mammoth tooth. I've searched all over for pen blanks but can't find any. Where does everyone get them?

Thanks,
Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I thought I bought one from a vendor at the this year's Southeast Pen Gathering (SEPG). I went down to my shop and discovered it was an alligator jaw blank. I thought the name of the vendor would be on the blank. Anyway, is was not mammoth tooth and no label - 2 strikes.
SEPG has a FB group. You can search on "mammoth" and see if it returns any results. I am 60% sure someone at the gathering was selling them. Happy hunting! PB has other pen turning and pen blank groups where folks make this stuff.

magpens

I have a customer wanting a pen made from mammoth tooth. I've searched all over for pen blanks but can't find any. Where does everyone get them?

Thanks,
Ray

"Where does everyone get them?" ..... The fact is, we don't !!!

I have seen such things advertised ONLY ONCE in my 9+ years of making pens ..... just once ..... and that was a long time ago.

Hard to find it but you might try masecraftsupply.com. They sell a lot of knife handle material and they might be able to point you in the right direction. Won't be cheap though!

PenPal

I just rang Scotty Bulpitt on his home phone number from Australia being 1 519 741 0616. Yes he has them priced from 80 dollars. The one I bought cost 80 dollars and Cobalt blue banded (beaut colour). 5X1X1.

From Canberra Australia I used 001115197410616. He is a great bloke.

Kind regards Peter Hay.

PenPal

This is the drill available in so many countries,cut the blank into two using a cheap 3 wheeler bandsaw with a metal cutting blade. Drilled size for this brass then used accurate metal drill to finish the hole. Turned using the Easy Cutter 4 way (one cutter) to turn the pen,every time I blunted the four faces I placed it face down on a diamond plate,few rubs ready to go. Took me hrs to turn.
DSCF8603.JPG

I just joind here as well friends and will soon have 60 ready yep a huge group its take a lot of time and expense to prepare but almost ready , there will be natural brown ,natural whiteish .cobalt blue ,light blue ,purple wine ,and black and grey - these are 5x3/4x3/4 ive been asked to make them this size to help speed up the turning process (less material to remove ) makes sense to me , I still may do some 5x1x1 who knows ,, I also have blocks that are like 5x1-3/4 x 1-1/4 some a bit smaller some a bit bigger but all are big enough to do 2 pens with and these would be 2 piece pens shaft and cap , I have a few right now -red-green-blue-natural all on my page https://www.facebook.com/groups/www.thehouseofmammoth.ca/

Top Bottom