Mammoth Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

I bought this on a trip to Alaska and the Yukon in 2010. I cut it up as shown in the pictures. I made one pen from it.

If you have never worked with this material before I recommend you do not purchase it. You should plan to stabilize the material to reduce its tendency to crack after turning.

The pieces shown could be cast with a contrasting resin to make composite pen blanks.

You can see there are a number of pieces of varying thickness, all about 8 inches long. The three shorter pieces along the right side of the picture are the most solid pieces of the lot.

You get everything in the photos, including a number of smaller chips that came off the large main piece, shown separately in a yellow container.

I am asking $150 which includes shipping in a medium FR box, USA only. Reasonable offers considered.

Attachments

• P1280058.JPG
    P1280058.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 290
  • P1280056.JPG
    P1280056.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 221
  • P1280059.JPG
    P1280059.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Just curious. The mammoth is extinct. How were you able to purchase a tusk. Quite a find.

It come out of the permafrost in northern Russia,Canada, and Alaska. Fossilized and often found as river banks erode. Most is highly fractured.

It is all expensive and some times "rustled".

Top Bottom