Making Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yarydoc

I have found that I can take a ¾ wood & metal hole saw and with a little modification cut round blanks with a 7mm hole in the center. The hole saw comes with a ¼ in. drill bit but you can dress the end of a 7mm drill bit so it will fit in the arbor of the saw. I let the 7mm drill bit stick out of the hole saw around 1 3/4 in. I cut my board that I am going to cut my blank from a little longer than needed in case the bit chips out the wood when it breaks through. Drill with the hole saw a little over half way or until the bit goes through the board and flip the board over and use the drill bit hole as a pilot for your hole saw to finish your blank. I have found that if I let the edge of the saw blade hang over the board just a little the shavings will go to the outside and the blade wont overheat. When the blank breaks free there will be about half of it hanging out of the saw. You can use a pair of pliers to get it out. Just hold it and turn the drill press on. I have made 8 pens using this and it works for me. Let me know what you think.
Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Interesting technique. Do you try to align the endgrain and sidegrain sections of each disk, or do you alternate them. Or are you crosscutting the boards then drilling into the endgrain?

Some pictures would be nice, so we can see how they turn out.

yarydoc

After the blank is cut the grain is clear enough to match up. Mostly I drill through the end grain but you can drill through the grain also. I have found that red cedar is brittle when drilled this way but I am new at this so that may be my problem. I have enclosed 2 pics. The first one is the finished tool with blanks that it cut and the second is some pens I have made using it. The blanks are a little over 1/2 inch.

Attachments

• IM002176.jpg
    IM002176.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 274
  • IM002179.jpg
    IM002179.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 221

yarydoc

I know they sell those online but this one is $8.95 at Lowe's. This will do about the same job, you get to put it together and its MADE IN USA. Keep sending comments. If you think there is a way to improve this tool, make it for less or if you just don't like it let me know. Thanks

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know they sell those online but this one is $8.95 at Lowe's. This will do about the same job, you get to put it together and its MADE IN USA. Keep sending comments. If you think there is a way to improve this tool, make it for less or if you just don't like it let me know. Thanks

That is inexpensive, IMO. It seems like that is what I paid for mine 25 - 30 years ago in Louisiana. Still have it. Mine is the 1" - O.D. And I bought it at an industrial supply store that supplies oil field crews.

Top Bottom