Making Flat Board Blanks For Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

So far I have made lots of 8 segment blanks to turn into bowls on the Ringmaster.
Decided to step it up a little and try 12 segments

They will be put aside now and wait for my new Dewalt 735X planer to arrive because I want to see if there is any difference with the three knife cuter head compared to my two knife one that I now have listed for sale . .

Here they are in the rough and will look nicer after being planed and all the glue marks removed .

The green coloring in some of those segments is not caused by your monitor . . .lol . . . . It is some green coloring in some poplar I got at the local lumber store yesterday . The white wood is aspen and then there is also some cherry and walnut and African mahogany in the mix. All those woods will become more 'alive' when they are sanded and sealed and finished.

I am hoping they will make some interesting looking bowls once I stack up the rings in off set fashion.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow nice segmenting there William! Can't wait to see the bowls.

And I have the 735 - LOVE it... I can't compare to a 2 blade as this is the first planer that I've ever owned, but I think you'll like it a lot. Put it on the slower feed rate and you should get great outcome from it.

Scruffy

Do you have any formulas or rules of thumb you use for determining angles and sizes.
Or is there already an article some where that defines all this?

W.Y.

Do you have any formulas or rules of thumb you use for determining angles and sizes.
Or is there already an article some where that defines all this?

Loads of stuff about that on my own site because it is working in thousands of an inch for accuracy but is figured in a very easy manner . Unfortunately time permits me from going into all that detail here. .

W.Y.

Wow nice segmenting there William! Can't wait to see the bowls.

And I have the 735 - LOVE it... I can't compare to a 2 blade as this is the first planer that I've ever owned, but I think you'll like it a lot. Put it on the slower feed rate and you should get great outcome from it.

Thanks and I do have a 15 year old Delta 22-580 two speed finishing planer that has only two knives . It has served me well with tons of wood gone through it but with the DW 737X being classified as the best bench top planer on the market and with it having three knives I am hoping it will do a little better on cross grain which is required for planning segmented blanks .
I cannot afford a thickness sander of decent quality to I am hoping this will serve the purpose.

Well , I thought what the heck . I might as well go out to the shop in the heat this afternoon and try a first time 16 segment glue up as well . At the same time I had some left over odds and ends of strips of wood that I didn't want to waste so I glued them up too . The board is 18" x 9" so it will make two 9" diameter bowls.

plantman

Ah Bill; You are a jump ahead of me. I was going to ask you if a thickness sander wouldn't be a better choise for going with the grain, against the grain, and across the grain all at the same time. I will be joining your web site later tonight. See Ya!!! Jim S

W.Y.

Ah Bill; You are a jump ahead of me. I was going to ask you if a thickness sander wouldn't be a better choise for going with the grain, against the grain, and across the grain all at the same time. I will be joining your web site later tonight. See Ya!!! Jim S

Even with a thickness sander a person still needs a planer so first choice is always planer especially if milling your own or buying rough sawn lumber and then sander after the boards are dimensioned enough to only require sanding ..

I have had pretty good luck with the two speed Delta and it doesn't owe me a penny after all those years . I just put a new set of knives on it yesterday so it will work good for whoever buys it. Wood does not require sanding for using on the RM when coming out of the Delta planer . I can only hope the DeWalt leaves as good or possibly a little better finish due to it's 3 knife cutter head.

Only problem so far has been a slight amount of tear out on some softer woods by taking multiple very light pass's on cross grain . Hope the DeWalt serves me as well for as many years .
Main reason I am upgrading (I hope) is because of the age of my planer and I want to have a reliable one especially when I need it in the fall when I generally get some custom orders of bowls from ones that buy from me at the craft sales.

plantman

Bill; One of my planers is also a DeWalt. 2-blade. Excellent machine with easy blade set up, plenty of power, and little or no snipe. I am sure you will be happy with yours. Jim S

W.Y.

Bill; One of my planers is also a DeWalt. 2-blade. Excellent machine with easy blade set up, plenty of power, and little or no snipe. I am sure you will be happy with yours. Jim S

My new DW735 is scheduled for arrival tomorrow but I may not be able to slip over the border and pick it up for a few days . We have relatives visiting from out east and we're taking some day trips around points of interest and I will be playing at a music festival 120 km from home on Wednesday .

Top Bottom