Making a living

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jackalope

Hi,

My name is Joe Wilson, I'm a turner in Brampton Ontario and I am a new member to the IAP. I recently lost my job and find myself in the unenviable position of many years experience and no degree which is precluding me from consideration for most jobs. If I am being honest though, I would rather be in control of my own fate and have been thinking about doing starting my own business turning pens and things for a while but am unsure as to whether it is truly a viable alternative from an economics standpoint.

Is this something I could make a living at, or is this more along the lines of supplemental income?

Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corgicoupe

Hi,

My name is Joe Wilson, I'm a turner in Brampton Ontario and I am a new member to the IAP. I recently lost my job and find myself in the unenviable position of many years experience and no degree which is precluding me from consideration for most jobs. If I am being honest though, I would rather be in control of my own fate and have been thinking about doing starting my own business turning pens and things for a while but am unsure as to whether it is truly a viable alternative from an economics standpoint.

Is this something I could make a living at, or is this more along the lines of supplemental income?

Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum.

Joe

From a recent discussion I had with Ryan Krusac at the Atlanta Pen Show, I would say that it is possible but you need to decide on your marketing strategy. (Google his name to find his Website.) The product you make is strongly related to your market. One market is craft shows; he has chosen traditional pen shows. Audience is different, customer is different, and price structure is different. The ancillary skills are different as well. Visit his website to see what I'm trying to say.

jackalope

Thanks for the links and suggestions! So, perhaps I'm just thick but based on all I've read in the forums, most people would advise against, some people advise looking at those who are currently doing it and how they started and everyone points out that it would be hard work. Does that sound about right? :)

Dan Masshardt

What is the minimum amount of income (profit) that you need each month?

Stsrt there and then break down how much you need to make and how many items you need to sell a month / week and start to think about how and where you'll sell and if the goal seems plausible.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the links and suggestions! So, perhaps I'm just thick but based on all I've read in the forums, most people would advise against, some people advise looking at those who are currently doing it and how they started and everyone points out that it would be hard work. Does that sound about right? :)

Have learned long ago that you never tell anyone they can not do something. They must try on their own. What you have read in any link you read is others thoughts and maybe experiences. Does that translate to your situation, probably not. Everyone is different. What we all are suggesting is to start small and see where it takes you. It will not be an easy road but if it were many more people would have done it. Can there be a supplemental income here, why not. But if you are planning on feeding a family and providing for them, please look into something else also. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

Make a couple hundred pens and see what you think after that. That would probably be 1% of what you would need to get started. Good luck.

Top Bottom