Making a fountain pen nib feed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spindlecraft

I searched to see if a thread for this already exists – but I couldn't find anything, so here I am.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to find nib units for my kitless fountain pens. I typically order from either Turner's Warehouse or Beaufort Inks – but both of them seem to be sold out of their fine & medium sized nib units.

Also - at $18 per unit, it has me seeking maybe some other alternatives.

Analyzing the nib unit, and given how many different fountain pen kits that are out there – I have to think that these things can't be THAT hard to manufacture. Right?

Could they be 3d printed? Or cut with a laser engraver?

Basically I'm just looking for tips/thoughts/suggestions/ideas on how one might go about making their own fountain pen nib units.

(Alternately – I also would be willing to entertain suggestions on where else I might go to source pre-made Jowo units... because they are getting harder and harder to find)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I get them from either Classic NIb or Exotic Blanks. Both sell the front section for the Dayacom Juniors which use the JoWo nib unit. Be sure the specs say JoWo #6 nib unit) Remove the nib unit from the housing. Only drawback is mostly medium.

Meister NIbs is another place you might try along with Goulet Pens.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

duncsuss

If Meisternibs don't have stock of the JoWo nibs I want, I look to https://fpnibs.com/

They are in Spain, but even with shipping their prices are competitive. They also offer some services such as engraving and reshaped breather holes (hearts are popular with my customers).

There's no reason you cannot make feeds - but I can't think of a good reason to do it if you're using new nibs that come with them. If you were building sections to take vintage nibs, or a nib without a feed/housing, that could be the way to go. (Saving a dollar or two isn't a good reason, I doubt you would be able to find JoWo nibs significantly cheaper without a feed than you could get them with the feed.)

darrin1200

Feeds are a lot more intricate in design than you might think. Ebonite feeds are often considered better than the injection modded feeds. Partially because of the material, but also the more accurately achievable shape, as it is turned rather than molded.

There are a few individuals making their own feeds, but it's not due to price. Usually, it is to fit a unique nib or section situation. Their nibs and feed units are usually quite a bit more expensive.

I'm not saying, don't go down that road, just be aware of why your doing it. Personally, I hope to one day make my own feed.

Top Bottom