Making a duck call

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithlong

Duck calls are pretty simple to make, just gotta get the right tools which can seem overwhelming at first. The mandrel I chose to go with is linked below but I got the 5/8" MT2 one which also means you need a 5/8" drill bit. I liked theirs compared to others because it didn't have the textured body that would mar the wood and it applies even pressure across the blank, reducing chance of breakage or it flying off. The inserts I have used are the double reed, timber duck inserts that fit a 5/8" hole.

You will also need bands to strengthen the side of the call you put the insert into. These can be brass, aluminum, etc. I ordered a aluminum tube (1.125"OD x 0.035"wall x 1.055"ID) and cut them down to about 1/2" pieces for final shaping and assembly. This also means you need pins, I grabbed a box of small nails I could cut and file down. Polishing is a whole other issue for the metal compared to the wood as well.

Turning, any wood does work but some are better. It is a duck call, assume it will be used and get wet so oily wood can be ideal since the oils help repel the moisture. Some oily woods include African black wood, padauk, bubinga, rosewoods, etc. Oaks are good options as well because they are porous and moisture leaves quickly. Maybe just use woods that are really beautiful, it is up to you.

Lots of videos out there on doing duck calls. Left a link below for a solid starter one to help you get an idea of whats involved. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions and I will answer what I can. I can also get you a more accurate list of tools and accessories, need to go through my stuff to remember it all.

Kenny Durrant

I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I like using my collet chuck with an open ended mandrel I bought from Web Foot. I had a Morse taper mandrel at first and the vibration would cause it to come loose I also use the collet for other things so I don't consider it a purchase just for calls. The mandrel has an Allen screw that you adjust to hold the blank. I can set it where it holds the blank tight enough to turn but I can twist it off by hand to flip the blank back and forth. I use a 5/8" and a 1/2" mandrel so I can turn regular calls and the shot shell calls. As far as other tools and finishing I use the same stuff I use for my pens. Good Luck and have fun.

Top Bottom