Makerbot Replicator Fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mecompco

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

That a 3d printer?

Yup, we have a Makerbot Replicator 5th Gen at work now. Those five pen stands were an 11 hour print at normal resolution.

Lot's of potential, but it seems doing properly scaled 3D drawings isn't quite as easy as it might seem. There are, though, lots of things already designed one can print in the mean time.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

It is to bad that they do not have a clear filament that could be buffed and polished to a high shine.

How cool would that be?! I ended up painting these Forest Green, sort of in keeping with my "Made in Maine" theme and they don't look too bad.

They way the layers are, though, I don't think clear filament would ever be clear all the way through like acrylic.

Regards,
Michael

eharri446

Another idea would be to do part of it in one color and another part in a different color.

That would certainly make it an eye catcher at a craft show.

mecompco

Another idea would be to do part of it in one color and another part in a different color.

That would certainly make it an eye catcher at a craft show.

You know, I should do that. I converted a 2D JPEG of the State of Maine to 3D, added my business name in 3D text, then painted the whole thing Forest Green. Took white nail polish and painted the lettering and it looks great. I'm thinking outlining the pen displays in white would look nice. Thanks for the suggestion. :biggrin:

mecompco

It is to bad that they do not have a clear filament that could be buffed and polished to a high shine.

Elwin
Clear SLA (liquid photopolymer) material polishes up very nice with wet sanding and polishing paste, I used Similichrome(sp).

Hmm--have not heard of it, will check it out. Makerbot uses PLA, but if it's compatible, that would be awesome!

Regards,
Michael

RobS

If you sketch the pen stand design you want I can draw it up for you and send you the sla file to print.

Penultimate

Michael
Sorry for the confusion. The photopolymer material is used in stereo lithography 3D printers. A laser cures the liquid layer by layer. We have industrial sized machines at work. There are some desktop DLP printers that may use clear material.

Top Bottom