Majestic FP with custom blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

This is my first full size Majestic. It is a BIG pen. I have a Jr that I plan on finishing the same way to make a desk set.
The blanks are faceted then mica dusted with SS wire set in a flute, burl (unknown) rings and clear cast on tube.
Questions, comments and criticism welcome.
this is only the second FP I have made and the first one that I inked up to use. It has been a long time since I used one. I may become a convert, it writes very smoothly.
1864B9AC-1110-4325-85DB-EA45EA600BBC.jpeg
5F41DF9B-6DD8-4F69-BBD0-4A2F26DED80F.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

WOW. Here is a Wow pen. I absolutely love this pen design. I have played with this idea to some extent but yours is outstanding. Love everything about it. Front page material here. Yes that kit is large but it makes for such a great canvas for things like this. I hope you do not mind but at some time I may borrow your interpretation and apply to mine. Well done and thanks for showing. Man after another look, that has class all over it. Is it possible to take a close up of the blank??? A little tough to see the detail in the faceting. That is what is making it jump out. Has to be one of the best pens shown here in a long time. Thinking outside the box and with great design. I do not get this feeling about pens here this often but yours is stunning. It would go into the Hall of Fame in my book of pens. I hope others really admire this pen and realize the great work that went into it. Again TOP NOTCH. WOW!!!

Last edited:

PatrickR

WOW. Here is a Wow pen. I absolutely love this pen design. I have played with this idea to some extent but yours is outstanding. Love everything about it. Front page material here. Yes that kit is large but it makes for such a great canvas for things like this. I hope you do not mind but at some time I may borrow your interpretation and apply to mine. Well done and thanks for showing. Man after another look, that has class all over it. Is it possible to take a close up of the blank??? A little tough to see the detail in the faceting. That is what is making it jump out. Has to be one of the best pens shown here in a long time. Thinking outside the box and with great design. I do not get this feeling about pens here this often but yours is stunning. It would go into the Hall of Fame in my book of pens. I hope others really admire this pen and realize the great work that went into it. Again TOP NOTCH. WOW!!!
Thanks guys!
JT - I'd be flattered if it gives you some ideas, it's one of the reasons I post here. In the past I got stuck in a habit of just making similar pens all of the time. Now I'm concentrating on trying new ideas. It leads to more failures but some unique pens in the end.
Here are a few more pictures. I only use a cell phone so they aren't great. The reflection of the mica adds a lot to the
D75D7466-B167-4DB6-B7BC-139B7F461313.jpeg
AB3A4476-13E9-4FB6-9B95-8C6590ED13EC.jpeg
D6B394B2-E98A-4450-8736-82D6019740FF.jpeg
faceting. At times it appears like the wire is in a valley because of it ( a light side and a dark side).

jttheclockman

Patrick, thank you for the added photos and mainly the raw blank. There is so much detail in there that at time photos just can not do it justice and needs to be held in the hand to be appreciated most. I am with you 1000000% about doing those special pens. I rarely do ordinary pens any more unless it is a special order or a wood I want to celebrate. I constantly try to push my boundries and my thought process when I get into pen blank making. You have done that with this pen. My hat is off to you. Again one of the coolest pens I have seen here in a long time. Hope to see many more of your designs. Keep them coming. I do hope as you say this pen pushes people's creative juices to new limits. This is what makes this hobby grow.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for posting this one Patrick. Mark handed me a small envelope several years ago, which had a bunch of really small threaded rods in. He suggested I made a pen using these rods. I still have them somewhere, and just might get one done. Now that I've seen this bit of inspiration. But it will not even hold a candle to this masterpiece. Very nicely made pen!

PatrickR

Thanks for posting this one Patrick. Mark handed me a small envelope several years ago, which had a bunch of really small threaded rods in. He suggested I made a pen using these rods. I still have them somewhere, and just might get one done. Now that I've seen this bit of inspiration. But it will not even hold a candle to this masterpiece. Very nicely made pen!
Thanks!
The wire used was .029, so if yours is in that range very doable. I probably could have used a larger wire but not much.
i look forward to seeing that rod used in a pen.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks!
The wire used was .029, so if yours is in that range very doable. I probably could have used a larger wire but not much.
i look forward to seeing that rod used in a pen.
Thanks! They were actually threaded rods AND hex nuts. The very smallest I've ever seen, and I worked in a fastener warehouse for seven years. šŸ˜Ÿ No worries though. I'll get to them, when I find them. Thanks for the inspiration.

CjG78

Wow!! Beautiful!
At first I was a little distracted by the bottom join being a little fatter, but noticed all 4 joins have the exact same shape and boy oh boy does it work. The nicest majestic fountain pen I've seen.

PatrickR

Th
Wow!! Beautiful!
At first I was a little distracted by the bottom join being a little fatter, but noticed all 4 joins have the exact same shape and boy oh boy does it work. The nicest majestic fountain pen I've seen.
Thanks!
I do prefer straight barrels with a soft radius at the joints when possible. Joints at a nib are different and need to feel seamless. I also generally finish the cap to barrel joint to the cap size not to the bushing. I just prefer the look.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work Patrick. I love the depth you got with the blank. One of my first forays into blank making was a parallel concept. I won't hijack your thread so a PM will follow.

89ECA15D-9B7E-41BC-86F0-DCAE38BEA62F.jpeg

Top Bottom