Magnetic Vertex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

newgenesis

I am attempting to turn a few Magnetic Vertex pens from PSI and I have ran into an issue with their kit. The instructions tell me to drill the hole in the blank for the brass tube using a 10.5 mm drill bit. The problem I am having is this bit appears to be to large as the brass tube appears to float in the hole and not stick on all sides. I have tried using a 10mm on a scrap and that hole is to small.

Any help fixing this issue?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lefyldepens

I am attempting to turn a few Magnetic Vertex pens from PSI and I have ran into an issue with their kit. The instructions tell me to drill the hole in the blank for the brass tube using a 10.5 mm drill bit. The problem I am having is this bit appears to be to large as the brass tube appears to float in the hole and not stick on all sides. I have tried using a 10mm on a scrap and that hole is to small.

Any help fixing this issue?

Thanks
I had this issue with the Magneto, is this the pen? I used the 10.5 and used gorilla glue that slightly expands within the tube
ccae5d6c0174260e3359554618ba2724.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dieseldoc

Have made and sold several Magetic Verter and had no problem with fitting the blank to the tube using a 10.5 MM bit. I use Gorilla Clear glue to install the tube and wait over night for curing and never had a problem.
I would check to make sure your drill bit measures at 10.5MM and is not over size or the wrong bit.

magpens

First check your 10.5 mm drill bit for correct size using calipers.

You could next .....

Try a 13/32" drill (on scrap)

here are the sizes:

10.5 mm = 0.4134" - too big ?
13/32" = 0.4063" - maybe
10.0 mm = 0.3937" - too small

If you have letter-size drill bits, namely X and/or Y, you could try them also - they are sized between the 10 mm and the 13/32".
You can get their exact sizes on the internet .... Google "Drill Size Conversion Chart"

Charlie_W

How are you drilling....lathe or drill press?
What type of bit are you using?
Did you use a center/starter bit first?...or turn a dimple for the bit?
A little more info will help us give you better answers.

PenPal

The murky world of drills,indeed you could write volumes about mistakes,shapes,usefulness,possession value etc. Best to be aware and forearmed with calipers. The sad thing is our approach to pens should be governing or developing a strong engineering approach (measure twice).

Goodness when I first started everything it seemed dependant on the lack of quality in manufacturers and suppliers of kits,glues. mandrels now theres a subject to defy your imagination . Wow they vary in diameter and so on. I used to go to engineering shops and take tubes and buy long machined bolts. I fixed on 1/2 pens for accuracy. I bought my drills by measuring them with my calipers.

Never a dull moment really,half the fun of success. Chin up and enjoy the chase,the thrust,shove and experiment. I made my first lathe ,loved doing it learned on the way. I do like the advice so far. I have an item in my autograph book from more than 70 yrs ago

Love many trust few but always paddle your own canoe. Yes I still am over trusting but I have met so many inspirational makers and people.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.

newgenesis

To answer the questions brought up above.
I use the lathe to drill. Have never had an issue with centering the hole this way.
I am using the 10.5 mm bit that came with the starter kit from PSI

Doing the above I have never had issues like this from anything else from PSI, that is why it baffles me this time. I did take the advice of one here and bought a small bottle of clear Gorilla glue if the tubes come out of the blanks again.

Top Bottom