magnetic Vertex Supreme dries out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djyanan

I have a Vertex Supreme Fountain Pen that I made, decided i liked it, and kept it for one of my everyday users. the problem i'm having is that it dries out. I've had it now for over 2 years, and for the first year there was no problem, but about a year ago it started being a problem. I've switched inks out, cleaned it out, flushed it, and it still happens. Any thoughts from the group? I've sold a few of them as well, and i'd like to have an answer if the people who bought them come back to me about it.

thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djyanan

Yes, i do use it on a regular basis, i like the weight and the size. Used it yesterday, worked fine. had freshly filled it the night before. just went to use it, and it was dry. doesn't matter if i use cartridges or converter, and happens no matter what ink. so far have run Noodler's, Parker Quink, and Private Reserve through it (cleaning it each time i switched inks). Started happening when I was still using cartridges. rather irritating, because, as I said, i like the pen.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are you using the nib that came with the kit, or has it been changed? I assume you did not change it.
Since you said it worked fine for a year, Mal's answer sounds like the logical choice, it is not closing as
tightly as it once did.

Last edited:

djyanan

I am still using the nib it came with; this is one of the kits with a non-standard nib. I haven't noticed that the cap is loose, but i can check it against one of the other ones i have made and not sold yet. thanks.

bmachin

Since You mentioned Private Reserve and Noodlers you might give this a read:

RichardsPens.com • Pens That Write Right!

There was something of a raging controversy over this a few years back. I don't know if it was ever resolved.

You might consider disassembling your nib/feed and inspecting them under magnification to see if you can spot any damage or blocking. Then give them a good cleaning in a mild 10% ammonia/water solution.

May not help, but worth a shot.

I don't have any info on Quink, but all of the Waterman inks are universally praised as being trouble free.

Bill

Last edited:

djyanan

Looks like Mal wins for the probable cause - pictures are attached. see if you can tell which one has been in use for 2 yrs vs the new one. Looks like I'm calling PSI tomorrow for a replacement. please excuse the poor quality of the pictures, they were taken with my phone while i was holding a flashlight.

Attachments

• IMG_20180130_200227109_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180130_200227109_HDR.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20180130_200258053_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180130_200258053_HDR.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 226
Top Bottom