Magnetic Painted Desert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This afternoon I made a Magnetic kit in Gunmetal from The Crooked Mill. It is essentially a Zen type design but has a "wavy" clip. The blank is a leftover piece of an Alumilite blank called "Painted Desert" that I got from Turnt Pen Company, the enterprise of Tim Crowe, High School English Teacher. I really like the name of his company, "turnt" is an obsolete past tense form of "turn". The most recent usage though has become synonymous with excited or wound up. I really like his blanks too!

It was finished by dry sanding to about 3000 grit followed by the six "grits" of Stadium Pen Blanks Magic Juice polishing compounds. I bought mine from Michelle at Drop Anchor Creations. I think they give me a glossier finish than wet sanding with MicroMesh, but with a lot less mess and hassle - no water involved! The only issue I have with them is the same as what I have with all of the polishes I have used, if there are any pinholes, pores, or other anomalies in the surface the polish will settle in them and leave behind dreaded white dots. So far I only reserve polishing to plastic blanks and fall back to MicroMesh and Buffing for wood pens.

Dave

PS Reflection off of one of the facets on the top of the cap really made some bad looking white spots on a couple of the pictures. I didn't notice it when I took them or I would have adjusted the angle a little.

IMG_4320 Cropped.jpg

IMG_4314 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4315 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4316 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4318 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4319 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4317 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Very nice pen Dave!

I have a dozen or so of Tim's blanks, but have only turnt one of them. Looking forward to turning more of them.

Thanks for sharing this one!

egnald

I'm not real happy with the fit. The bushings have a radius of 0.255, both the set I used as well as a virgin set, but the pen parts measure 0.256. I must have sanded it down a little too much because the blank itself measures 0.2525. That makes the blank about 0.0025 smaller than the bushings but 0.0035 smaller in diameter than the pen parts. Even though 0.003 is only the thickness of a piece of paper, it is enough that it is noticeable, especially in the photos. So, I will probably knock it back apart and lay down a couple of layers of medium GluBoost to build the blank up just a couple of thousandths so the fit is better. - Dave

Top Bottom