Magnetic Graduate Rollerball in stabilized curly maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from duderubble

duderubble

I got this blank on Ebay as one of three. Seems like I've seen the same seller here on IAP but I'm not sure. Ebay name is Banks Woodworking. Anyway It looks good to me.

Attachments

• 20200603_191606.jpg
    20200603_191606.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 171
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have made several of the non-graduate pens and everyone I've made has been a big hit. I call mine the "Mrs. Robinson" pen. You've created a very nice pen here and I was thinking about delving into the magnetic type. I get mine through PSI and for the most part can get them the cheapest on their web site. I'll have to order a few on my next order. Thanks for sharing the photo's. Any thoughts you'd like to share on the turning process?

duderubble

It turned very easily. The whole process from cutting the blank to taking the pictures was about an hour. That bottom barrel is very long. I was nervous about the profile on it. It would be easy to take it down too far and end up with a low spot. I really like the magnetic cap and this one I think I like better than the magnetic executive which has a much larger cap and smaller bottom barrel. This one works better to use without the cap posted if you want.

Bope

My daughter and I just made one of these pens. Our blank blew out when we pressed in the magnetic coupler. I think there was something like glue or a burr inside the tube, my fault. Turned off the crack and added a band. I agree I like this pen. I like the magnetic because it leaves a smooth area to grip the pen.

you must not wait for the glue to cure if it took an hour from blank cut to picture.

duderubble

I guess not. I used thick CA and accelerator. Haven't had a problem with it for wood. I usually let it set for resin or else use gorilla glue or epoxy.

Top Bottom