Magenta Bliss FP Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

I pulled these blanks from deep in my stash to make a kitless FP. The blanks have significant swirl and depth. The big challenge was matching up 2 blanks to make multiple components that "reasonably" align on the finished pen. I started by first turning the blanks round between centers to roughly plan the match point. The body and section came from one blank and the cap and finial from another. After making the components and assembly I started making adjustments. I had to shorten the barrel 0.005" at a time until the section when threaded in the body aligned the pattern best. I then did the same for the cap taking off material at the bottom of the cap until I got alignment with the body. Then it was just finish turning, sanding, and polishing.

The nib is a JOWO #6, section thread M10 x 1.0, cap thread M13 x 0.8 triple.

09666CA7-79F0-4857-A137-4F15CB1BE98D.jpeg
4ADA56B5-5488-4A83-9074-89BBF466D8BA.jpeg

Cheers,

Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beautiful work, Danny !!!!

Thanks for giving the thread sizes.

Is the Magenta Bliss an AA blank ?

David350

Amazing pen Danny... I really like that bank, based on your experience, do you think one should back paint the tubes? Thanks, David

Pierre---

I like it a lot Danny, especially the section flush with barrel threads, it looks so comfortable. I can't do that, when I try I always have threads marks on the section. Do you sand the inside of the cap???

IndySC

Great looking pen! Where did you pick up the clip? Are you threading the finial onto the top of the cap? What tap/die if so? Thinking of branching to trying out clips soon.

More4dan

I bought the clip from www.beaufortink.co.uk They have several designs in multiple sizes and platings. Most importantly they give the dimensions of the clips. The finial is threaded into the cap using a M7 x 0.75 thread. A M8 thread would have been a better fit for the clip but M7 is what I had. I prefer the look of a recessed clip but I couldn't find one that had a small ring OD that also extended out far enough for the larger #6 cap.

When turning, I attach the finial to the cap and turn both of them together. I make the finial longer and use a live center with a small dimple to support it when turning. I then turn down the length of the finial to remove the dimple.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

IndySC

I bought the clip from www.beaufortink.co.uk They have several designs in multiple sizes and platings. Most importantly they give the dimensions of the clips. The finial is threaded into the cap using a M7 x 0.75 thread. A M8 thread would have been a better fit for the clip but M7 is what I had. I prefer the look of a recessed clip but I couldn't find one that had a small ring OD that also extended out far enough for the larger #6 cap.

When turning, I attach the finial to the cap and turn both of them together. I make the finial longer and use a live center with a small dimple to support it when turning. I then turn down the length of the finial to remove the dimple.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Much appreciated Danny.

Top Bottom