Made today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Quite pleased with this one just a bit different.

Attachments

• 20210202_141513.jpg
    20210202_141513.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kcimdrib

Interestingly I tried twice to put a CA finish on this pen and failed. I did get some awful blobs of glue and Blue Roll stuck to my fingers. I hate CA finishing sometimes it works well and others yuk.
I resorted to Microcrystalline Wax in the end.
Also my Smart Phone refused to recognise my finger print ID because of dried glue.

magpens

Beautiful pen !!!

I love those attractive ornamental bands on both the bottom and the top barrel !!!

Each ornamental band has 3 rings. . I want to ask about the middle ring of each barrel.
Is each middle ring made from multiple different woods ? . The colors would suggest that.

Very well done !!!

bsshog40

Nice looking! Like the bands! It just takes a little practice with the CA. Another thing, don't know how your winter is right now but unless your shop is very warm, that CA will probably be a mess. I changed to CA my first winter when I found my wipe-on poly wasn't curing. Heat lamps and a propane heater helped the CA and I've been stuck ever since. Lol

leehljp

Member Liaison
Interestingly I tried twice to put a CA finish on this pen and failed. I did get some awful blobs of glue and Blue Roll stuck to my fingers. I hate CA finishing sometimes it works well and others yuk.
I resorted to Microcrystalline Wax in the end.
Also my Smart Phone refused to recognise my finger print ID because of dried glue.
There have been a few threads over the years where this is discussed. Do you finish it? Set it aside? Try another finish? While not summarized exactly like this, most everyone has had the blank finish from he_ _! A dozen finished perfect or close to it, then there is the one pen that no matter how many times a finish is tried, even over a few weeks, it still turns out bad. Set it aside and try it next year! "Sometimes" that helps! :rolleyes:

Kcimdrib

Beautiful pen !!!

I love those attractive ornamental bands on both the bottom and the top barrel !!!

Each ornamental band has 3 rings. . I want to ask about the middle ring of each barrel.
Is each middle ring made from multiple different woods ? . The colors would suggest that.

Very well done !!!
I used a puchased made up blank left over from a recent pen see photo just cut small segments sandwiched between light woods. The rest is Ebony.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20210131_132245~3.jpg
    20210131_132245~3.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 104

Kcimdrib

Nice looking! Like the bands! It just takes a little practice with the CA. Another thing, don't know how your winter is right now but unless your shop is very warm, that CA will probably be a mess. I changed to CA my first winter when I found my wipe-on poly wasn't curing. Heat lamps and a propane heater helped the CA and I've been stuck ever since. Lol
It about 5 degrees daytime. But I do use heating in the workshop. I would like to master it because its a more durable finish.
But most of my pens are given away as gifts so I wonder sometimes if its worth it.
Regards
All stuck up.

Kcimdrib

There have been a few threads over the years where this is discussed. Do you finish it? Set it aside? Try another finish? While not summarized exactly like this, most everyone has had the blank finish from he_ _! A dozen finished perfect or close to it, then there is the one pen that no matter how many times a finish is tried, even over a few weeks, it still turns out bad. Set it aside and try it next year! "Sometimes" that helps! :rolleyes:
Sounds like good advice. My background when I was working was the finishing industry I sold machines for finishing Turbine Blades for Jet engines so I know what a good finish should be.
I'll take a look again On YouTube.

bsshog40

It about 5 degrees daytime. But I do use heating in the workshop. I would like to master it because its a more durable finish.
But most of my pens are given away as gifts so I wonder sometimes if its worth it.
Regards
All stuck up.
Trust me, I loved my wipe-on poly finishes and a lot people praised CA finishes. I thought, I'll give it a try. Well after finally getting it down, I hardly finish with anything else on my pens. :)

Kcimdrib

Tried CA finish again today today slowed the Lathe to 500 rpm gave it 5 coates and finished with Burnishing Creame.

Attachments

• 20210204_135246.jpg
    20210204_135246.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210204_133556~2.jpg
    20210204_133556~2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 109

bsshog40

Looks good. Yea slow speeds are best for CA and letting it dry. If you coat too fast, at least from what I have had, the new layer takes forever to dry. I wind up having to accelerate then.

Top Bottom