Made my first turning tool.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hanau

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

Nice work,, Have you tried it out yet?? I don't use those kind of tools but wonder if that little screw would one day come out and then you lose the little square cutting thing... Good luck with the tool. Fay

hanau

The screw is pretty tight.
I haven't tried it yet need to make a handle for it, I am going to try and make a handle tonight. I need to to run up to the store and see if they have any oak dowels. I only have a 2" pine dowel right now don't really want to waste it to turn it down to 1-1."5.

wyone

The single screw is the most common way of mounting the carbide. I do not know how you could make it any better. I have never had any of mine get lose. I tend to put one drop of locktite on the screw when I adjust or change it.

I think that is a VERY NICE job making that. One day I should go to this much effort to make one. I made mine out of a Harbor Freight pry bar. It works great, but this looks much better and more professional. I have not worried about it much since I have sort of switched and use a skew mostly

hanau

I went to make the handle but could not figure a way to hold it so I can drill it.
My chuck would not go down to 1.5" so I had to order the Nova Mini 20mm Jaw Set to hold it.
So looks like Sat. I might have a handle made.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Lots of FUN isn't it??! I make mine. (Of course I like saving money was my real motivation!) :biggrin:

Old Codger

John...Looks like a great carbide tool! Do you think it would work in a Sorby Soveriegn handle system? I have several that has the three colletts I'm very pleased with and wonder if it would work with them? If so, are you considering mfg'ing them for sale? If so, how much, etc. Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

jewellmd

I'm also working on a turning tool with a square bit. The first one won't be all that special, but it'll help with making the second tool. I have a carbide with a round bit that was a Woodcraft purchase (EWT). I really don't want to lay down the money for another tool. Why not create a tool using the tools we already have. It's fun, saves money and can be made exactly to our own liking.

Great job with your tool! Good luck with turning a nice handle for it.

TBCbushings

Nice looking tool. Looks just like the the ones i make...i use 5/8 bar instead of half inch. But the question is does it work? If so then it's a great tool! Its great making a tool you can use yourself! Nice job!

hanau

Try to make a handle for it didn't come out to good. Couldn't hold it good enough to drill it straight and 1/2" bit was just a little to big need to drill it out with 29/64 bit. I should get the 20mm jaws tomorrow and will make the handle for it.

I am thinking about making some and selling in the near future. I am looking at about $30 for one holder no handle with 1 insert. I don't know if there would be any interest in them since there is a lot of other ones out there.

Just have to get a few things done so i can continue to get repeatable cut outs.

The ones I made yesterday where great and they ones today where off a little.

These are 6' long with 2" turned to fit inside the handle.

Old Codger I don't know if they will fit the Sorby Soveriegn handle system. The turned end of the one I made measures about .445".

Brian I tried it with no handle and it turned off some wood, but haven't tried any real deep cuts don't want it pulled out of my hand.

TBCbushings

You could use it without the handle..I made my handle with the tool...Keep up the good work! I use a CNC to make mine...I use what I have ! lol
Brian

bswim

Nice work,, Have you tried it out yet?? I don't use those kind of tools but wonder if that little screw would one day come out and then you lose the little square cutting thing... Good luck with the tool. Fay

I've been a machinist for 20 years using nothing but inserted cutters, with the exception of a wheel cutter here and there. Most have a top clamp on them but plenty just have a screw like that. I've NEVER seen one come loose if the holder wasn't to worn. And I've cut all kinds of various exotic aerospace materials. inconel, hastaloy, ceramic, lots of titanium . Last area I worked in we used 2" diameter cutters to rough down 7051 aluminum forgings at 24,000 rpm, 600 inches per minute and about .5" depth of cut. Inserts were held in with nothing more than a T20 Torx screw :)

Top Bottom