Made a grown man cry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

I had a beautiful piece of apple burl I purchased and was turning a bowl with a wide rim and a narrow base. I had the out side done, rough sanded and two coats of sanding sealer. While turning the inside I miscalculated the depth and cut through. I was mad at myself for doing something this stupid but I learned a valuable lesson. Stop and measure more often.
Maybe salvage a few pen blanks

Attachments

• apple1.jpg
    apple1.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 332
  • apple2.jpg
    apple2.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Beautiful piece! Looks too nice to scrap. Maybe an alternate material in the bottom. Maybe not wood...mirror?....marble.

Maybe it is not a funnel but rather, a lampshade!.... Brightest idea I have had all day! Use LED bulbs...less heat.

Last edited:

Bob Wemm

William, that is a real bummer, been there done that. In fact a few times so I am a slow learner in that regard. The other day I cut through the shoulder of a segmented vase and that really made me mad.
Your piece of apple burl is way too nice to cut up or scrap, so don't do that. Try and find a close matching piece and cut it to fit neatly inside and then shape the bottom from the outside. Just my opinion.
Bob.

Fay Prozora

I agree, I would try to true it up some how or find a piece that will fit there and reshape it and finish to, Who know, you might cry happy tears... Good luck and don't beat yourself up over it. Fay

robutacion

Ouch, that hurts...!

Some good options have already been made, I would also consider a possibility for casting. Either cast a base for it or, make a ring with resin by, cutting the top part end with some sort of waves, all around, clean the base so that you can make a mold with the 2 pieces together but with a space in between for the resin to go to. The effects of the waving instead of the broken/teared of it, would look better then cut it flat but, the easiest way of them all is to square that broken end and make it a lampshade..!

Good luck,

Whatever you endup doing, let us all see it, please...!

Cheers
George

KenV

William -- thing different things along the way -- that is much too nice a wood to waste.

Think about how it could be cut into curved ribbons Can pieces be made into pen holders? Will triangular shaped pieces from the side become the display backdrop for other creations?

There are turners that make ribbons from pieces from the sides of bowl shapes. Cut-turn- glue and get different shapes.

MarkD

We all have made funnels now come the creative part! Lots of great ideas already. I would probably cast the base with colored resins. Be sure to show us your results!

GaryMGg

Mine have been smaller (Jet mini) but my wife uses them to hang air plants from.
They end up hanging on the back porch from fishing line with Bromeliads and other species in the space.

OZturner

William, you have received a number of great suggestions, to resurrect your glorious Apple Bowl.
A suggestion from left field, you might think a bit too way out, but.
I would consider gluing it to a selected piece of Soapstone, then turn the base in the Soapstone.
It is a bit messy, with the talc dust, but turned and polished, it would be magnificent.
You could even sandwich the Soapstone between the "funnel" and the existing base piece in your chuck, and turn that to the foot of the Bowl.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards,
Brian.

Top Bottom