Macro shots from my garden

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

I put one of my macro lenses on the Nikon and headed out into the garden to see what was about...
DSC_1201.jpg

DSC_1205.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Those are amazing photos .... can hardly believe !!!!

You must have been scared out of your wits !!! :oops:o_O

TonyL

Wow! Maybe I understand why my wife asks me to kill all of the bugs in the house :) Awesome images!

Ironwood

Wow! Maybe I understand why my wife asks me to kill all of the bugs in the house :) Awesome images!
Thanks Tony. I haven't used any sprays in the gardens for over 5 years, since I took an appreciation of the little critters that live there. If they come inside the house they are fair game though 🧐

magpens

I just noticed, upon looking yet again ... you got two shots of the same critter, one with "his" jaws open, another with jaws closed. . Very good !!
You musta talked "him" into posing for you !! . Maybe you held out some cheese !!

Those little guys are fascinating and seem kinda like tiny machines !!!!

How big is the spider in the top picture ... about the size of a 20 cent piece ?

Last edited:

bsshog40

Very cool. I took a few myself probably about 9 or 10 yrs ago. It was cool looking at them on the computer. Your pics are fantastic. Mine are a little mediocre. Older camera. Lol

Attachments

• brown moth.jpg
    brown moth.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 94
  • colored moth (1).jpg
    colored moth (1).jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4707.JPG
    IMG_4707.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 112
  • praying mantis (7).JPG
    praying mantis (7).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • walking stick 008.jpg
    walking stick 008.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 88

Ironwood

I just noticed, upon looking yet again ... you got two shots of the same critter, one with "his" jaws open, another with jaws closed. . Very good !!
You musta talked "him" into posing for you !! . Maybe you held out some cheese !!

Those little guys are fascinating and seem kinda like tiny machines !!!!

How big is the spider in the top picture ... about the size of a 20 cent piece ?
That one is about 15mm (9/16) long. The one in post #3 is about half that size.

Ironwood

I found a couple more Jumping Spiders this afternoon in the garden.
This one was about 8mm long (5/16")
DSC_1229.jpg

He wanted to jump onto the back of my hand :)
DSC_1220.jpg

Then found this one at the other end of the garden, it was about 12mm (1/2") long.
DSC_1254.jpg

DSC_1257.jpg

Ironwood

Heres another one I took a while ago on my verandah table. This one is called Mopsus Morman, another type of jumping spider.
DSC_0623.jpg

Same species, different settings and better lighting. Back in 2018.
DSC_5391.jpg

magpens

What incredible bugs ....... I love 'em ....... (believe it or not !!!!!) . !!!!

Fascinating and incredible !! . . Love their eyes .. all of them !!! . . Wish I had more than two eyes ... :eek::oops: ... LOL !! . Maybe could do without glasses !!!!

Bamagoldbug

One of them apparently is wearing sunglasses [emoji851]

Law of the Workshop: Any tool, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner. ~

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
All of those pictures are stunning but for me, the very first one is just phenomenal. It looks like that little critter is looking directly into my head and knows exactly who is scared of who....

Woodchipper

I have a macro setting on my Canon camera. I spent a few bucks and got a set of four diopters to take macro photos. May I suggest you work on the depth of field so the back of the critters aren't blurred? Those are very good and show what is in the garden and yard.

Ironwood

All of those pictures are stunning but for me, the very first one is just phenomenal. It looks like that little critter is looking directly into my head and knows exactly who is scared of who....
Cheers Skip. A few years ago, I won a comp with a photo of a female Mopsus Morman ( they look different to the males) The judges comments were just like that last line of yours. I think that spider got into their heads and won me the comp.

Ironwood

Great shots! Until I started playing with macro shots, I never knew just how many spiders there are. The closer you look, the more there are - they are everywhere!
I was the same Eric, until I started to go out into my garden with the macro rig, I didn't appreciate just what was out there. Its a whole other world.

Ironwood

@Ironwood Which Nikon camera do you have and which Macro lens? I have a red 3100 but no Macro lens yet.
Hi Mort. I use the Nikon D7100, and an old Nikon AF55D f2.8 macro lens that I got for 100 bucks on ebay. I also have the much more expensive Nikon 105G f2.8 macro lens, but for this type of photography, I prefer what the old lens gives me.
I had a D3100 before I bought the 7100.
One big improvement in the upgrade to the 7100 was how much bigger the viewfinder was, it made a big difference for me, as I handhold the camera, and manually focus through the viewfinder.
The 3100 doesn't have its own focus motor, so it won't auto focus those older lenses, but if you are manually focusing that doesn't matter.
The D3100 is a great little camera, and I took a lot of good photos with it.

ecrouse

These photos are incredible. They are something I would expect to see in a magazine. Nice work and you should submit them somewhere that pays money for such photos, although I appreciate you sharing them here first ;)

pshrynk

Okay, I'll grant you that they aren't deadly. But they are also rather tiny. Being typical wildlife from Australia, though, I am convinced that they are probably wanting to kill you when they get dosed with enough gamma rays...

Beautiful shots.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
My heart actually started beating faster as I looked at those incredible images. They made me nervous. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom