M3 Pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

le_skieur

I have M3 Pen blanks that I will no longer use. I do the research and it seems to be rare. Is there still interest in this material or has it been neglected by turners.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yaroslaw

I love this material. It's not neglected, a company that made them took a hard hit during COVID and they don't make them for a time being (checked with a manufacturer in December). They were expensive though, with their price I've only made pens that I can sell for $300-500 and it was a long waiting for a customer to buy them. And I really didn't like the titanium based round blanks (the ones sold by PSI), older rectangular ones were much more beautiful. What kind do you have?:)

Mike8850

Here's a post from Tim McKenzie

Last week we finalized the purchase of the M3 Composite Innovations product/process from the previous owner and inventor, Mike Kogan. Known as Macro Molecular Material, the M3 material is a premium product made from metal, yet easily machinable with hand tools. The popular Mokume Gane look is incredible on pens, rings and other jewelry.

We'll need a few weeks to perfect the process but plan on initially launching with 5-6 of the most popular color mixes in both ring and pen blank form. No pricing just yet, but it is my hope that with our equipment and bulk purchasing power for supplies we'll be able to bring it back to market at a slight discount over the last available prices 2+ years ago.

More information and of course teaser photos etc to come as we get this going.
1f642.png

I was turning these blanks a decade ago and I'm very glad we get to bring them back to the market here at McKenzie Penworks.

le_skieur

I love this material. It's not neglected, a company that made them took a hard hit during COVID and they don't make them for a time being (checked with a manufacturer in December). They were expensive though, with their price I've only made pens that I can sell for $300-500 and it was a long waiting for a customer to buy them. And I really didn't like the titanium based round blanks (the ones sold by PSI), older rectangular ones were much more beautiful. What kind do you have?:)
I have one grey with gold and a black and white.

le_skieur

here is the picture

Attachments

• D5722FB6-9441-404D-A515-6F434875972F.jpeg
    D5722FB6-9441-404D-A515-6F434875972F.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 103

yaroslaw

Oh man that would be great! They were expensive to stock:)

BTW I never had a chance to try Volcanic ash blanks as they were discontinued before I tried M3 and still dreaming of making pens from it someday especially if they are hygroscopic. The synthetic hygroscopic black material is my dream at least to try. Please?:) I'm willing to be a beta tester on that one:)

Oh man that would be great! They were expensive to stock:)

BTW I never had a chance to try Volcanic ash blanks as they were discontinued before I tried M3 and still dreaming of making pens from it someday especially if they are hygroscopic. The synthetic hygroscopic black material is my dream at least to try. Please?:) I'm willing to be a beta tester on that one:)
Actually working on getting those recipes now... I've got a bunch of sample material and I thought it was pretty cool. I think we've figured it out enough that we could PROBABLY get close but considering what I paid for the process it would just be easier if he could give us the original recipes.

Top Bottom