M1 Carbine Assembly Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bugradx2

I've had a two or three people ask me to make the Berea M1 carbine pen instead of the PSI Bolt Action because it shows an M1 instead of a hunting rifle.

My issue is that whenever I put together one of the things the parts are so tight that it is a serious fight to get them to go together. Did I just get a couple of kits that were machined too tightly or is this a known issue with the M1 kits and the new guy (me) just has to figure that out for himself?

Is there a way to resolve this that doesn't require me painstakingly expanding diameters of the components somehow? I've already tried being too bullheaded and bearing down so hard on my press that I bend the mechanism to the arm for the ram. I don't recommend the last approach. Fortunately Milescraft was planning for that and sells the assembly very cheap.

I'd like to continue to make the pen but if it's going to be a fight every time I make one I'll just refuse to make them going forward.

Any advice (or chuckles) are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I'm reminded of the manufacturing joke: Hammer to fit; paint to match.
Watching this post for the information that could be useful elsewhere.

KenB259

Though I've never used that exact kit, I have seen other kits that are very tight. I have posted here before about a tube expander I bought that works very well in these cases.

bugradx2

I'm reminded of the manufacturing joke: Hammer to fit; paint to match.
Watching this post for the information that could be useful elsewhere.
Yeah, I was just too darn obstinate for my own good.... More pressure is not the right answer

bugradx2

Though I've never used that exact kit, I have seen other kits that are very tight. I have posted here before about a tube expander I bought that works very well in these cases.
I just went and read that thread, thanks for referring to it.

In the case of this particular component set it's actually the various metal segments along with the brass tube itself that don't want to press together well. I'd have to expand 3 or 4 different pieces but would gladly do it if it meant the darn thing would go together better. I have a friend who does some reloading, I may ask him what he uses to adjust the size on stuff too.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

bugradx2, reloading is merely "squeezing" the brass cartridge or shotshell brass base down to a specific size to fit the dimensions of the firearm's chamber. The dies are set at a certain dimension and not adjustable. Also, many cartridges are tapered and not a uniform diameter the entire length. I don't think he would have anything that would help. You could check with a local machine shop but the cost would be very expensive.

bugradx2

bugradx2, reloading is merely "squeezing" the brass cartridge or shotshell brass base down to a specific size to fit the dimensions of the firearm's chamber. The dies are set at a certain dimension and not adjustable. Also, many cartridges are tapered and not a uniform diameter the entire length. I don't think he would have anything that would help. You could check with a local machine shop but the cost would be very expensive.
my bad, for some reason I was thinking they could expand the casings also depending on what they were trying to do

Top Bottom