Lots ‘o silver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Here's a pen I finished that has been a few weeks in the making. I made it primarily from argentium silver, with acrylic for the section, ink reservoir, and cap liner. It has a piston mechanism for filling , and uses a Bock #6 nib. It is about 1/2" in diameter at the threads , and is just shy of 5" long when capped.
This was a complex piece of engineering, and to save weight (not to mention material costs), I built the silver parts of the pen around an acrylic skeleton, and used a combination of wax casting and forming via hammer/mandrels/swage block to fabricate the parts. This was a fun build, and have some more in the pipeline to make.
1F24F347-3F32-49BD-A259-F89A6ECD1202.jpeg
560A63A9-6511-4D03-A922-C951E474175C.jpeg
0B3514B2-CDF7-484C-B650-3A230D01C722.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenHog

Wow, that's a great looking pen. I can't imagine the planning that went into that.

I notice that your Bock nib is undecorated. It goes really nicely with the pen. Very clean and kind of minimalistic.

Does the section unscrew to allow access to the piston (for, say, cleaning)?

magpens

Gorgeous work, John !!!
I love the peek-a-boo see-through design.
The clip is especially attractive !!

jalbert

Wow, that's a great looking pen. I can't imagine the planning that went into that.

I notice that your Bock nib is undecorated. It goes really nicely with the pen. Very clean and kind of minimalistic.

Does the section unscrew to allow access to the piston (for, say, cleaning)?
Thank you. I like the unbranded/unengraved nibs quite a bit. Fp nibs keeps these in stock, which is handy. No, this section is integrated with the barrel. I like to thread the material that the cap threads are cut into, on to the barrel rather than just making a tendon and using epoxy. After doing that there isn't much wall thickness left To accommodate internal threads for the section, so I just do a one piece section/cap threads. Piston unit easily unscrews with a wrench if you need to do more intense cleaning

PenHog

Thank you. I like the unbranded/unengraved nibs quite a bit. Fp nibs keeps these in stock, which is handy. No, this section is integrated with the barrel. I like to thread the material that the cap threads are cut into, on to the barrel rather than just making a tendon and using epoxy. After doing that there isn't much wall thickness left To accommodate internal threads for the section, so I just do a one piece section/cap threads. Piston unit easily unscrews with a wrench if you need to do more intense cleaning

Thanks for the details, John, very interesting. I like FPnibs too, although the shipping costs can be a tiny bit painful (but worth it). Anyway, again, that's a great pen!

Top Bottom