Lost my right-hand-man last night.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Tony Gibbons, my best trainer at the blind center, passed away in his sleep last night. Mark, I think you met him when you were here. We don't know exactly what happened, but Tuesday he was complaining about pain in his legs and it is possible a clot broke loose. He was diabetic, but wouldn't change his diet....

He was a good, patient, and caring man, and will be sorely missed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Tony Gibbons, my best trainer at the blind center, passed away in his sleep last night. Mark, I think you met him when you were here. We don't know exactly what happened, but Tuesday he was complaining about pain in his legs and it is possible a clot broke loose. He was diabetic, but wouldn't change his diet....

So sorry to hear this. I can relate been there 3 years ago. My brother's wife who is a nurse convinced me to go to emergency room. I probably would not be here today if I did not. Blood clot traveled to my lungs could not breath.

sbwertz

Tony was in a car accident two years ago and broken ribs lacerated his lungs so badly they had to surgically remove 70 percent of his lungs, so he only had 30 percent lung function to begin with. He had a diabetic ulcer on his foot that wouldn't heal and could have been the source of a clot.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sincere condolences to his family as well as your program. I am very poor with names, but I do remember a gentleman that assisted me when I was there. Everyone I met there were very gracious.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It was a very "interesting" experience.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 180

MPVic

So very sorry for your loss, prayers for you all.

WriteON

Sorry to hear.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sharon, I too, am sorry to hear that. When someone you can depend on leaves for one reason or another, there is a loss. Praying for you and for your work.

The note about being diabetic hits home to me. I have a close friend that lives in Atlanta, and he is a consultant with our MS church organization on a weekly basis. He didn't realize how bad his foot was (neuropathy); Went to the doctor two weeks ago and the next day they amputated his foot.

One thing I have noticed about my diabetic friends; most are cautious in every way they can be, but they are not going to let diabetes stop them from enjoying life. Your friend and co-worker did this.

WriteON

The note about being diabetic hits home to me. I have a close friend that lives in Atlanta, and he is a consultant with our MS church organization on a weekly basis. He didn't realize how bad his foot was (neuropathy); Went to the doctor two weeks ago and the next day they amputated his foot.

One thing I have noticed about my diabetic friends; most are cautious in every way they can be, but they are not going to let diabetes stop them from enjoying life. Your friend and co-worker did this.
Diabetes is not forgiving. My father died blind, double amputee from diabetes. I'm trying to learn from it. Diet, routine blood work, medication, etc, I'm staying around for spite.

sbwertz

It was a very "interesting" experience.
That is Tony with the dust mask and red headband. The young woman is who worked with him every week. She is visually impaired...lost all her peripheral vision due to a stroke. Also lost her ability to read. She can see the words but they have no meaning. She was still in training in those pictures. Now she will be the lead with a trainee to help her on Tuesdays.

Last edited:

greenacres2

Sending condolences your way Sharon, and for the rest of the folks at the Center.

Mark--i'd noticed the recent avatar with the blindfold, had a feeling that was what it was. Odd coincidence you'd used that picture the past few weeks.
earl

Top Bottom