Looking to start TBC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bzahn

I am going to need to get live and dead centers for my table top Grizzly MT2 lathe. It did not come with either. I am looking for recommendations for what to get. Grizzly does offer lots of choices for live centers, but I don't know what would be best. I cannot find a dead center on their website. But I'm also not sure if they are of a quality that would do me right. So I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

TBC is the way to go.

I bought my live and dead centers on Amazon (dead center about $13, live center about $20). Both are still working fine after 4 years.

I also invested in a set of TBC adapter bushings from Turners Warehouse (about $12, I think). Those adapter bushings are useful with most other kit bushings so you don't have to buy a new set of TBC bushings for every pen kit.

magpens

It could help if we knew the lathe that you have . . . brand name and model number.

I am surprised that Grizzly does not have any dead centers. . Try Harbor Freight . . . or there might be a "bricks-and-mortar" tool store near you.

I would think that a MT2 live center from Grizzly would be quite adequate for pen turning . . . get one with a simple 60-degree point (not the compound taper).
The Grizzly prices seem rather high to me.

I recently bought a live center (made in China with no brand name) from a local tool store. . I paid $49 CDN but you should get one in the US for a fair bit less.
Here is the one I got :

Last edited:

magpens

I could not find a dead center on the Harbor Freight website . . . . try a local tool store if possible. The dead center is a fairly cheap item.

Here is a live center from Harbor Freight . . . a little on the cheap side but could be adequate. . . I would be looking in the US $30 - $45 price range

leehljp

Member Liaison
Been off for a couple of days because of ice storm, electrical outages and internet/TV outages too.

Here is a link for dead drive centers on Amazon:

I am surprised with Grizzly not having any as I have bought 2 or 3 from them over the years.

The Little Machine Shop has them too:

bzahn

Thanks, guys! I live about 30 miles NE of Springfield where the big Grizzly store and warehouse is. I saw my nephew who works there this evening and he is going to look into the dead center issue for me. If they really don't have one I'll check the links you sent me. I appreciate the advice you have all given me.

bzahn

It could help if we knew the lathe that you have . . . brand name and model number.

I am surprised that Grizzly does not have any dead centers. . Try Harbor Freight . . . or there might be a "bricks-and-mortar" tool store near you.

I would think that a MT2 live center from Grizzly would be quite adequate for pen turning . . . get one with a simple 60-degree point (not the compound taper).
The Grizzly prices seem rather high to me.

I recently bought a live center (made in China with no brand name) from a local tool store. . I paid $49 CDN but you should get one in the US for a fair bit less.
Here is the one I got :

It's the Grizzly model H8259.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks, guys! I live about 30 miles NE of Springfield where the big Grizzly store and warehouse is. I saw my nephew who works there this evening and he is going to look into the dead center issue for me. If they really don't have one I'll check the links you sent me. I appreciate the advice you have all given me.
My daughter lives in Ozark and works in Springfield. I too visit Grizzly often - 3 - 5 times a year when I go to visit our daughter.

Just got out my 2022 Grizzly catalog.
MT2 - H7962
Page 402

That is the only one I could find.

Last edited:

bzahn

My daughter lives in Ozark and works in Springfield. I too visit Grizzly often - 3 - 5 times a year when I go to visit our daughter.

Just got out my 2022 Grizzly catalog.
MT2 - H7962
Page 402

That is the only one I could find.
I just took a look at that page and lo and behold, I think I see a dead center on top left of the page. I don't think that is on their website at all.

Jarod888

I would pickup the carbide tipped dead center. They are the driving portion for turning between centers. Having the carbide will prevent any grooving in the end from slippage or burrs in the bushings.

Top Bottom