Looking to start out...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

I'm comfortable with $600. What do you all think?

I still say get variable speed. There is nothing wrong with that Penn State bundle if only for the variable speed lathe. I'd still want the Rockler carbide tools and a Benjamin's Best skew.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SuzukiGS750EZ

If I go with the jet 1015 variable speed, chi chuck do I buy for the mandrel? Or am I all set as is?

magpens

I know that Jet is a good brand. . This lathe will serve you well for bowls and similar turnings.

If I knew that I would be focussing on pens for a long time into the future, I would buy a cheaper lathe (say $300 for lathe alone ... there should be some at that price ) and spend the difference on a carbide tool and accessories like a headstock chuck, a live center, and a Jacobs chuck for the tailstock, plus a few other things like a mandrel. . Make sure the accessories are transferrable if you ever upgrade the lathe. . By that I mean considerations like the headstock chuck should have 1" x 8 TPI thread mount, the Jacobs chuck should have a Morse taper #2 mount, etc.

For pens, you certainly do not need the large "swing" of 10 inches and you are paying quite a bit for that feature.

Variable speed is a must, and preferrably right down to 15 RPM (some may disagree with such a low speed).

In that PSI package, you definitely don't need the 10 or 20 slimline pen kits, or the blanks for slimlines. . I have already mentioned the kit that I would start with and it is not a slimline. . It is the 30 Caliber Bolt Action ... much more classy, easy to make, and well worth the extra $.

Last edited:

SuzukiGS750EZ

I know that Jet is a good brand. . This lathe will serve you well for bowls and similar turnings.

If I knew that I would be focussing on pens for a long time into the future, I would buy a cheaper lathe (say $300 for lathe alone ... there should be some at that price ) and spend the difference on a carbide tool and accessories like a headstock chuck, a live center, and a Jacobs chuck for the tailstock, plus a few other things like a mandrel. . Make sure the accessories are transferrable if you ever upgrade the lathe. . By that I mean considerations like the headstock chuck should have 1" x 8 TPI thread mount, the Jacobs chuck should have a Morse taper #2 mount, etc.

For pens, you certainly do not need the large "swing" of 10 inches and you are paying quite a bit for that feature.

Variable speed is a must, and preferrably right down to 15 RPM (some may disagree with such a low speed).

In that PSI package, you definitely don't need the 10 or 20 slimline pen kits, or the blanks for slimlines. . I have already mentioned the kit that I would start with and it is not a slimline. . It is the 30 Caliber Bolt Action ... much more classy, easy to make, and well worth the extra $.
What accessories that you mentioned would fit the lathe I posted from jet, if I decide to go with that one? I'd like to get setup in the beginning and learn the lathe as I'll use it instead of buying extras after the fact. Thanks for the heads up! I do the same with battery power tools.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Though the turncrafter commander has twice the rated hp (or so they say) and I think the 12" said live center.

Pen_man_ship

This thread reminds me of building a sawhorse...ask twenty people get twenty-one answers.
That being said I like the Jet 12/21 VS. Just a little more money especially if you wait for a sale.

SuzukiGS750EZ

This thread reminds me of building a sawhorse...ask twenty people get twenty-one answers.
That being said I like the Jet 12/21 VS. Just a little more money especially if you wait for a sale.
Does twice the hp of the jet give the Penn an advantage? Is it a "better" lathe?

SuzukiGS750EZ

Well... no lathe yet but my girlfriend bought me a slimline pen kit & tools for the lathe. So... now I gotta find a lathe lol

magpens

So you'll be starting with a slimline, it seems ......... rather a pity ......... there are easier and more rewarding/gratifying ways to start.

But .... I guess you gotta do what you gotta do

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You will like that lathe!! Used it (3 of them) for the past 20 years.

To be clear, I was referring to the Jet 1015 vs

I left the computer and came back to finish, lots of intervening posts---sorry for the confusion!!

Last year I got a 1221--I like it better, but not a LOT better!! And I still turn several times a week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom