looking for wood plates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from airrat

airrat

I am looking for appprox 14" wooden plates. I can order them from this one company as unfinished maple for $24. I plan on engraving on them. Here are some pictures from the one company.

I do not turn plates so I dont know the difficulty, if the price could be comparable from someone.

Attachments

• 5001.jpg
    5001.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Stan I have not turned anything like that before. I might be able to do that in the future but not the time right now to learn.

bneff

I don't think you'd have much of a learning curve to turn a plate. I've turned several saucers/card trays from 1x6 pieces of wood. Cut the corners off so I had an octagon, glued a waste block to the bottom, mounted on a face plate. Round it to a circle. Turn the back to the profile you want, then do the front. Sand, cut it off the waste block. Then mount it in a donut chuck to finish the middled of the bottom.

I've only been turning a few months & I can do a saucer/tray like this from start to finish in a couple of hours.

Bill

bitshird

A 14 inch plat, is going to require a pretty big lathe, or you could do it turning outboard with a HF or Grizzly 12 in that has a pivoting headstock.
I think the engraving idea looks good Tom, are these plates that you've done ?

tim self

Unless you have a lathe able to turn 14", the cost of $24 is very reasonable. Knowing the time involved, at least 2-3 hours per, and the cost of material, I would go with them. I assume you are trying to market the engraving. It is fun to turn something that large though. My biggest so far was a walnut 12'"

Texatdurango

Stan I have not turned anything like that before. I might be able to do that in the future but not the time right now to learn.
Tom, I'm with you on the learning curve. I haven't turned a platter yet either and doubt my first few would be worthy of sale. Could you provide a link to the site for the pre-turned platters, sounds interesting.

In my neck of the woods you would be lucky to find a maple blank that large for much less than $24, then you have to turn it!

Even being retired and turning for fun, I doubt I would take an order from someone to turn a 14" plate for $24!

Gary Max

The biggie I see.
Quality of wood.
The folks selling them for $24.00 per have a bunch of money tied up in wood and getting it ready.
I think you are going to be hard pressed to beat that price.

Dario

Turning platters have their own "quirks". Unlike bowls which are curved and provide more support, thinner platters have minimal support that may require a steady on the back else it might shatter.

$24 for a 14" platter is a good bargain IMHO.

babyblues

I've found platters to be easier to turn than bowls. And quicker. You don't have to take nearly as much wood off a platter as a bowl and platters are also easier to sand. I've turned three out of oak and haven't had a problem with any of them.

JimB

I've only turned 1 plate and it was in a bowl turning class I took when I started turning. It was one of the easiest things I've done. If you have a big enough lathe and the size wood you need then I say give it a try.

Top Bottom