Looking for this burl blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

This is called Gray Box Burl. I'm not sure where I picked this up at. I've had it for over a year and never considered it to be very unique. Until recently when I searched on the type and saw it turned. What I have pictured here will be another faux cigar. This wood is similar to malee burl but of a less red color. I really like it and would like to find some in larger blanks than 3/4".

Attachments

• GBB blank.jpg
    GBB blank.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 384
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That Grey Box Burl is beautiful !!

Now all we have to do is get it here !!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That Grey Box Burl is beautiful !!

Now all we have to do is get it here !!

Keim Lumber is about 1 hr away. They are in the middle of the Amish Communities in Ohio, and thus cater to a variety of customers. I will check in with them tomorrow, and if the have some of this in stock I can putter - on - down and get some for resale on IAP.

When done, I'll check in with Dale first as he inspired this thread.

Be back tomorrow :wink:!

Just me.

magpens

Thanks a lot, Mark !!! . Nice of you to offer to do that. I could use 5 - 10 blanks if it works out, please.

Dale Allen

Mark, I was looking for something larger than the 3/4" but others here could likely use that size. I wanted to see if they had something in a turning stock that I can cut up.
Their sale is Wednesday through Saturday of this week. I was thinking of making the trip Saturday. My brother mentioned he was interested in going.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Dale: I just got back from Keim. They did not have any of these in stock. I was not surprised as the price is about $11.00 for the 1.5" x 1.5" x 6"; while a 10 pack of the 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" blanks (which they did have) is like $68.00.

The did have some larger spindle blanks in some of the other Mallees, but also very expensive.

They told me I might get some quicker buy ordering them online from them.

Dale Allen

Mark; Thanks for doing that. I know their prices are not the best.
I found a place on etsy that had them for $4.25 each so I got 5 of them and a pack of 6 thuya burl 7/8" square. $72 with freight for 11 blanks does not seem too bad.:)

magpens

As I understand, a faux Cigar is a pen made to look like a cigar which has been partially smoked. . The blank material is usually a nice wood, sometimes with an actual recycled paper cigar band around it. . One end of the pen is rounded or shaped to look like the mouth end of a real cigar. .
The other end of the pen is made to look like the ashes on the burning end of the cigar. . Various techniques are used to make the ashes appear more or less realistic. . Usually, the pen is a bit on the fat side and is a two piece pen with cap and body that unscrew from each other to expose the writing tip. . I would say that it is the cap end that usually is made to look like ashes but it could be the other way around. . You cannot buy a kit called a "faux Cigar". . This design would be classified as a custom or semi-custom, depending on how many parts from a basic kit (such as Jr Gent II) went into the manufacture of the "faux Cigar". . It is possible, and this may in fact be the trend, to make the "faux Cigar" as a so-called kitless pen, but the term "kitless" does not actually have an unambiguous meaning or usage amongst penturners. . Hope this helps. . If you wanted to do a search on IAP for such pens, I cannot suggest the search terms you should use. . I think it would be a trial and error procedure that would result in more misses than hits.

Hello all,
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is meant by "faux cigar". Is that a cigar as in pen style or a real cigar?
My curiosity is piqued.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom