Looking for some cheap blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I Need to make 60 pens for a give-away event and I am looking for some inexpensive blanks- any kind of wood. I will be making slim line pens. Let me know what you've got. Thanks,
Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

Cook Woods is running a sale on pen blanks today, $0.45 for maple blanks, $0.49 for claro walnut. Is that the price range you had in mind? The cheapest would probably to get some lumber from a local lumberyard (no shipping costs) and cut the blanks yourself.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If it's a charitable event, I can send you 20+ blanks for the cost of shipping (about $8).

Edgar

If it's a charitable event, I can send you 20+ blanks for the cost of shipping (about $8).

Edgar
Edgar

Exactly how many do you have in mind when you say 20+? I live in a Continuing Care Facility which does not allow us to tip the employees. So, each year they have a Christmas Party and I will be giving a pen to each of the employees as my way pf thanking them for the care that they give us all year. Charitable? I guess this would quality.

Ron

Cook Woods is running a sale on pen blanks today, $0.45 for maple blanks, $0.49 for claro walnut. Is that the price range you had in mind? The cheapest would probably to get some lumber from a local lumberyard (no shipping costs) and cut the blanks yourself.
Fred,

Thanks for the heads up. Will consider your suggestion.

Ron

penicillin

My local Rockler sells lumber by the board-foot. They will sell you any length cut off from either end of a board by the board-foot, as long as the remaining board is 4 foot or longer. I get many inexpensive pen blanks by buying one foot of several exotic woods like purpleheart and padauk, etc. They are typical "4/4" boards, which are 3/4 or 13/16 inch thick. I cut pen blanks from those small boards on the bandsaw. I like to leave the boards intact and cut pen blanks as needed, just in case I have a need for thin strips or other uses. This approach saves a lot of money compared with buying the ready-made pen blanks in the little cubbyholes.

I don't know if other Rocklers have the same policy, nor do I know whether other woodworking stores like Woodcraft do it, but it works for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom