Looking for some blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AR Jacobs

Hi all, first thread so please bare with me. I am looking for some acrylic blanks 3"x3'x1/2 " mixed colors such as greens, purple etc. Any help or info would be appreciated.

Thanks....Archie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

Hi all, first thread so please bare with me. I am looking for some acrylic blanks 3"x3'x1/2 " mixed colors such as greens, purple etc. Any help or info would be appreciated.

Thanks....Archie
Hey Archie - just to be certain you are looking for 3 inch x 3 feet x 1/2 inch?

AR Jacobs

Thanks....Archie
Sorry that is supposed to be 3"x3"x1/2" sorry for the error.

jrista

Looking for 3"x 3"x 1/2" round or square.

Welcome back! Hope your health is better! I know how health problems can go... They can sap you of all your energy.

Also just want to double-check the 1/2" diameter... That is pretty small. Might work for a slimline, but I think it would be tough for any other pen kit. I guess if you were making custom "kitless" pens they might work, but it is still a pretty small blank.

Most are 3/4", some are 5/8" or 7/8", and sometimes you find 1" blanks (which are great for those really big, hefty pens). But I don't see 1/2" blanks all that often. Sometimes I see wood ones for particularly rare woods at Cook Woods (i.e. Pink Ivory, African Blackwood, ebonies, and occasionally some others).

I do see plenty of "shorties" in acrylic, but almost always, they are 3/4" in size, rather than 1/2". Should still work, but if there is some particular reason you specifically want 1/2"....you may end up needing to buy 3/4" blanks then trim them down, maybe?

AR Jacobs

Welcome back! Hope your health is better! I know how health problems can go... They can sap you of all your energy.

Also just want to double-check the 1/2" diameter... That is pretty small. Might work for a slimline, but I think it would be tough for any other pen kit. I guess if you were making custom "kitless" pens they might work, but it is still a pretty small blank.

Most are 3/4", some are 5/8" or 7/8", and sometimes you find 1" blanks (which are great for those really big, hefty pens). But I don't see 1/2" blanks all that often. Sometimes I see wood ones for particularly rare woods at Cook Woods (i.e. Pink Ivory, African Blackwood, ebonies, and occasionally some others).

I do see plenty of "shorties" in acrylic, but almost always, they are 3/4" in size, rather than 1/2". Should still work, but if there is some particular reason you specifically want 1/2"....you may end up needing to buy 3/4" blanks then trim them down, maybe?
Thanks but I am not making pens from these. I am making pocket mirrors for Christmas present for family and friends.

egnald

I know Rockler sells coaster molds for pouring your own, they are 4" round and up to 3/4" deep. You could consider buying some Liquid Diamonds and a couple of powdered pigments and pour your own. (Liquid Diamonds doesn't need a pressure pot because it has a very slow cure time). - Dave

jttheclockman

First question is does it have to be acrylics?? There is plenty of wood products that can be cut down to size. Second question is do you have the ability to cut wood.? The finally as Dave suggested you can always cast your own. You can also do some segmenting of small stock and make it as large as you want. Keep an open mind.

AR Jacobs

First question is does it have to be acrylics?? There is plenty of wood products that can be cut down to size. Second question is do you have the ability to cut wood.? The finally as Dave suggested you can always cast your own. You can also do some segmenting of small stock and make it as large as you want. Keep an open mind.
First off, I like working with acrylic over wood. I have made blanks but others I have seen is much more to my liking. I have some I bought before to make small compacts, but it has been so long and I don't have any info on where I purchased them. Seems no one is making them or selling them anymore.

hooked

You might want to check out some plastic manufacturers like buyplastic.com, eplastics.com, acme plastics. I have seen acrylic sheets all over Etsy as well. You can cut the sheets down to your 3x3 size. The problem will be the 1/2 thickness part. Most acrylic sheets I see are 1/4 inch. Maybe laminate sheets?

Some manufacturers also sell 3" rods but 4ft of 3" rod (minimum) is very expensive.

I did see this material at one site in 1/2 inch but not sure if it is appropriate for your use.

AR Jacobs

You might want to check out some plastic manufacturers like buyplastic.com, eplastics.com, acme plastics. I have seen acrylic sheets all over Etsy as well. You can cut the sheets down to your 3x3 size. The problem will be the 1/2 thickness part. Most acrylic sheets I see are 1/4 inch. Maybe laminate sheets?

Some manufacturers also sell 3" rods but 4ft of 3" rod (minimum) is very expensive.

I did see this material at one site in 1/2 inch but not sure if it is appropriate for your use.

Thanks I will check them out

Top Bottom