Looking for recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

S.K.Austin

I'm looking for suggestions on an upgrade to my lathe. I started out with the Excelsior mini lathe from Rockler. I was lucky in that the one i got had none of the common problems indicated in the reviews, and its been a great little lathe to start out with. But I really dislike having to change the belt every time i want to adjust the speed, and the the access to the belts is in a less than convenient location. So I've been looking at upgrading to the Jet 1221vs. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this model, or recommendations on similarly sized/featured models. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

I went through this recently myself. My wife wanted me to get a Revo12/16, but I went with the 12" turnmaster from PSI. It's basically the same as the JET. It just doesn't have reverse. I chose the Turncrafter simply because of the 3 year unlimited warranty. My old lathe was a 10" Turncrafter, and anytime anything went wrong on it, usually the tailstock, they replaced it no questions asked. The 12" still has some of the same tailstock issues that the Jet has, but the warranty is what did it for me.

monophoto

Stephen

I went through this process a while back. My approach was to first write a list of the things that I absolutely had to have, followed by a list of the things that I wanted to have. I then created a spreadsheet listing various lathe options, and how well they met my selection criteria.

My shop is small, and I had built a stand for my 'starter' lathe that I wanted to reuse since I didn't have space in the shop for a larger stand. The width of that stand determined the maximum distance between the feet on the headstock and tailstock ends of the lathe. I was very interested in the Jet 1221, but it was just too long to fit onto my stand.

So I ended up with a 12" Turncrafter. As Joe noted, the Turncrafter is very similar in specifications to the Jet with the notable exception that it doesn't have a built-in reversing switch. However, that's an easy retrofit. I've had it for more than eight years now and it has served me well. My only issues with it have been:
  • the tailstock can rotate very slightly (about 0.6 degrees) - from other posts on this forum, this appears to be a relatively common problem with midi-lathes. This happens because the machining of the bottom of the tailstock casting is slightly more narrow that the spacing between the bedways. There's no easy 'fix', but its only really a problem when drilling on the lathe, and there's a simple workaround.
  • I had to replace the original belt - but all belts wear out and eventually have to be replaced. PSI sells replacements (not in the catalog - call customer service), or there are after-market belt supply houses that are less expensive.
  • The speed control box failed, and I opted to replace it even through in retrospect the failure was something I could have repaired (a broken crimp-connector inside the box on the wiring to the output to the motor).

The Laguna Revo 12/16, Jet 1221vs and Rikon 70-220vsr are all interchangeable and basically the same at this model range. I have the 70-220vsr and it is a great lathe without any issues at all. Honestly, with this series range of midi lathes it comes down to brand preference. My suggestion is get whichever model of these 3 that goes on sale for the best price.

RobS

1221vs has the fastest belt change system I have ever seen, the clutch mechanism is fantastic. The room between pulley settings is also fantastic. I could switch belts so fast on mine, I never really saw it as a belt change, because you could do it in seconds (maybe 5).

The tailstock is ok, and that has been noted above.

Its a solid workhorse for pen making. I used it nonstop for 5 years and turned 900 pens on it. Its a great lathe to get you through the small to medium turned objects.

I also got into turning larger items, and now own the Powermatic 2014. I found myself turning shaving bowls, monster pizza cutter handles and beer tap handles. I enjoy the robust tailstock, and heavier machine for these larger items which are normally hybrid castings, and have a horrible of axis center of gravity when turning square to round.

Good luck.

Velcrodog

1221vs has the fastest belt change system I have ever seen, the clutch mechanism is fantastic. The room between pulley settings is also fantastic. I could switch belts so fast on mine, I never really saw it as a belt change, because you could do it in seconds (maybe 5).

The tailstock is ok, and that has been noted above.

Its a solid workhorse for pen making. I used it nonstop for 5 years and turned 900 pens on it. Its a great lathe to get you through the small to medium turned objects.

I also got into turning larger items, and now own the Powermatic 2014. I found myself turning shaving bowls, monster pizza cutter handles and beer tap handles. I enjoy the robust tailstock, and heavier machine for these larger items which are normally hybrid castings, and have a horrible of axis center of gravity when turning square to round.

Good luck.
Just bought Jet1221V. Working the belts was super easy. Only had ot a few weeks so far so good.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I also have a 1221 and in two years, I have never moved the belt. Highest speed pulleys will produce under 1000 rpm, I have never needed to go slower. Top end is normal turning speed.

Top Bottom