Looking for Pen Mandrel...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gothycdesigns

Hello All,

I recently had to get an adapter for my lathe to use 1"x8TPI accessories. Well now I'm looking for a thread on pen mandrel to fit
the 1"x8TPI. My orignal spindle is 3/4"x10TPI, so not a lot out there for it. Thus why I got the adapter from PSI. I just dopn't want to have to get another adapter to make the mandrel fit. So the adapter I got will accpet anything with a 1"x8TPI set up.

So is there a 1"x8TPI mandrel? If so Where to find it? Any help greatly appreicated.

Later,
Ray
GD

P.S. I must add that my lathe does not have a spindle for a Morse Taper of any size. it is solid and only thread on. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I thought PSI sold a pen mandrel with threads. The other option is a Beall collet chuck and the right size collet to hold whatever mandrel rod you want to use, either the standard size or the Berea B mandrel. I have a Beall and it was worth every penny. I also use it for drilling when I need to be sure the hole it absolutely dead center.

gothycdesigns

I saw those tonight looking around (Beall collet). I have thought of that if thats the only option. I just thought to check what was out there. The PSI thread on mandrels ¾"x16 and 5/8" for a shopsmith. the only thing is another $80.00+/- for the collet. thanks for the tip. I may look into it more.

Ray

Randy_

You were already at the right place.....PSI. The stock # is PKM-BL is for the 1" x 8 tpi screw-on mandrel.

If you have a Beall collet chuck or a scroll chuck, you can buy mandrels from one of our members.....jcollozo.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26694

gothycdesigns

Randy, Thanks. I found a PSI catalog and saw it listed. and searched it on their site. It came right up. I just didn't see it on the website earlier or didn't do a correct search. Thanks for your help though.

Thanks Ray

kirkfranks

Follow up on the Beal Collet idea.
In the top post Ray said that the lathe spindle is solid.
Would'n this make the Beal collet not work correctly since the collet (and mandrel) could not be inserted far enough??
I don't have the Beal so I am asking this as a question.

Randy_

Originally posted by kirkfranks
<br />Follow up on the Beal Collet idea.
In the top post Ray said that the lathe spindle is solid.
Would'n this make the Beal collet not work correctly since the collet (and mandrel) could not be inserted far enough??
I don't have the Beal so I am asking this as a question.

Not really a problem!! But it is true that you could not use the Beall Collet chuck like the adjustable mandrels that some vendors sell. Easiest thing to do is just use a normal length mandrel and turn two blanks at a time. If you want the extra stiffness of a short mandrel and only turn one blank at a time, you could simply cut off the headstock end of the mandrel until was the length that you needed......probably about 5" would be right for most kits. You would need a longer mandrel for doing magnifying glass kits and the Pentel pencil.

gothycdesigns

Yes, PSI web desing does need some work. Granted they do have a lot of product, it would make more sense to make the info better attainable. But I do have to say that they have been great to deal with, email answering questions by email or speaking directly on the phone. I haven't had any problems.

I stopped by the local Woodcraft store today to look at my dream lathe. I've got an eye for the Nova 1624-44. I had to see it in person. Pretty impressive. When I have saved enough, I'll be getting it. Then the one I'm using will probably end up as the buffing wheel....hehe.

Thanks,

Later,
Ray

KenV

This is a good news - bad news kind of discussion. The good news is that you are moving to a more standard threaded system. The bad news is that you have a 3/4 by 10 (also known as National Coarse thread). There are only a couple of lathes I am aware of that use a 3/4 NC thread head stock; and those are not known for either precision or durability. If the lathe has a lot of runout, the connection of a train of adapters will expand the opportunity for additional runout. Be mentally prepared for some challenges in process to control the side effects such as difficulty in getting tight tolerances on your turning. There may well be some out of round turnings or challenges in using sandpaper in the same manner as someone with a tight lathe.

When you get about $300 saved up, move up to one of the better midi lathes so you can have more freedom in technique and less hassle than I expect you will enjoy with the lathe you have now. then you can use the 1 by 8 tooling with less runout and slop.

Firefyter-emt

BTW, you could drill a normal hole in the headstock to gain clearance for the beall chuck. You could drill about a 1/2" hole as deep as you can and that should give you the clearance you need. Heck, if you really wanted to, you can buy morse taper reamers and ream it. However, I suggest just the 1/2" bore for the Beall chuck

gothycdesigns

Beleive it or not. I had started to drill a hole. But it being a hardened steel spindle, I didn't get far. After about 1/4", I thought not to pursue any longer, thinking if I screwed it up, then I wouldn't be able to turn at all, no matter the good/bad qualities this machine has.

I also understand about the too many adapters chaining to get what I really need in a new lathe. I have tried to hold off as long as I could with not having to do that. But as it is, it is really slow going with saving up. So I figured spend just a little more on it to get it at least somewhat workable. I'l admist that my biggest mistake was purchasing the lathe not know what it was al about in terms of accessabilities too it. But live an learn I guess. I love to turn so I can look at it this way....I'm practicing on my challenges to hopefully know what I should be doing on a better lathe...the do's and don't if you will....heheh.

Either way, I do appreicate all the feedback. Happy Turnings to everyone.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom