Trade Looking for Mopani Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sauerkraut

Hey all,

Looking for 1-2 Mopani blanks to make a pen for a friend who's specfically requested it.

Have Ebony, cocobolo rosewood, bocote, black palm and others to trade. Or happy to buy em off of ya.

Thanks for looking!
Justin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Looks like it's also known as mopane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mopane). The ads I saw for use in aquariums look like a pretty gnarly wood for pen turning. Dense enough to sink and use as underwater habitat in aquariums. Looks like it may need to be cast after turning it down some, or filled once the turning gets close.
earl

Sauerkraut

Unfortunately all he gave me to go on was "mopani" and "South Africa". It looks like it's the stuff used in Terrariums/Aquariums.

Bell Forest has it listed as Mopani, or Mopane. Mopani Pen Blanks | Exotic Wood | Bell Forest Products

Just need 1 or two blanks, 3/4" or larger square, by 5.5" or longer.

Thanks!

EDIT:Thanks for the help Greenacres! You must have submitted as I was typing

Last edited:

magpens

OK. . Thanks. . Wish I could help and sorry I can't.

By the look of the Mopani (pen blanks ?) shown at Bell Forest Products it seems similar in appearance to some rosewoods.

But, of course, if the customer requested Mopani you are not at liberty to use a substitute !

Last edited:

Dr_N

I've seen pieces of this in pet stores, specifically PetSmart and Petco, that would be large enough to cut a blank or two from. Many, as was previously said, can be pretty gnarly, so you'd have to shop around a bit for size and shape. My step dad was able to find a piece at Petco that should yeild at least two decent blanks.

Last edited:

JohnU

PM me your mailing address. I bought a group of African wood a few years ago and think I still have some Mopani left. I'll look when I get home tonight. If so, I'll get it out ASAP!

Top Bottom