Looking for M13 or M14 triple start die & tap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Looking to buy (or trade if I have something you could use) a used set of M13 or M14 triple start tap/die...or even double start.
Thought I may have better results with my search since the items I want are size specfic.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Appreciate it, though I'm trying to find a used set at hopefully a much reduced price.
Turners warehouse has both sizes, M13 & M14 on sale for $180 a set...I've just started looking so I couldnt say if its really a sale or if this is the price they've been at for a while. I really don't want to pay that much if I can keep from it.

FGarbrecht

Appreciate it, though I'm trying to find a used set at hopefully a much reduced price.
Turners warehouse has both sizes, M13 & M14 on sale for $180 a set...I've just started looking so I couldnt say if its really a sale or if this is the price they've been at for a while. I really don't want to pay that much if I can keep from it.
Those prices have been 'sale' prices for months. I finally broke down and bought several sets. I don't know of anyplace cheaper, can't even get them from China. Good luck with your search.

1shootist

Those prices have been 'sale' prices for months. I finally broke down and bought several sets. I don't know of anyplace cheaper, can't even get them from China. Good luck with your search.
Makes one wonder if they ever really were $295. The "my pillow" perpetual sale has become a thing now.
If I had to choose one, which I will have to do at that price....M13 probably makes more sense.
Thanks,
Russ

FGarbrecht

Makes one wonder if they ever really were $295. The "my pillow" perpetual sale has become a thing now.
If I had to choose one, which I will have to do at that price....M13 probably makes more sense.
Thanks,
Russ
That's the one I use most (in my limited experience)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Unfortunately the triple tap and die sets we use are made to order, minimum of 12 to get any kind of price break and they are still over a $100 set at that. I stopped selling them years ago.

1shootist

Are there any noticeable benifits of using triple starts that would justify its cost ?

If I understand correctly, it allows a cap to thread on / off somewhat faster than regular single starts. But I've also heard / read that its not a tight lock, can back off some.

I was looking for used but it doesnt seem like any are available as what does come up, if it does... is nabbed by another turner quickly.

Some friends of mine have expensive pocket pens that I was surprised to learn when I asked.. are not all triple start .

More4dan

Are there any noticeable benifits of using triple starts that would justify its cost ?

If I understand correctly, it allows a cap to thread on / off somewhat faster than regular single starts. But I've also heard / read that its not a tight lock, can back off some.

I was looking for used but it doesnt seem like any are available as what does come up, if it does... is nabbed by another turner quickly.

Some friends of mine have expensive pocket pens that I was surprised to learn when I asked.. are not all triple start .

I just received a $500 Cross Fountain Pen from work for my 25 year anniversary, surprisingly it has single start threads.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

1shootist

I just received a $500 Cross Fountain Pen from work for my 25 year anniversary, surprisingly it has single start threads.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
That has to be a beautiful pen ! Congratulations for being fortunate to have stayed for 25 years !
The more I think about triple dies I become less sure of getting them. I mean, if I run across some for a bargain price I'll certainly jump on them. The M14 set from Victor Mach., M14 x .75 or M14 x 1.00 might make a better fit for me.

Last edited:

Jarod888

That has to be a beautiful pen ! Congratulations for being fortunate to have stayed for 25 years !
The more I think about triple dies I become less sure of getting them. I mean, if I run across some for a bargain price I'll certainly jump on them. The M14 set from Victor Mach., M14 x .75 or M14 x 1.00 might make a better fit for me.
Fyi, if you go with m14 x .75, you will need a 13.3 mm drill bit. Problem is, as far as I can find, that size is only offered in a straight shank, meaning the part that goes into the drill chuck is 13.3 mm. That means you have to have a drill chuck capable of holding a 5/8 drill bit.

1shootist

Fyi, if you go with m14 x .75, you will need a 13.3 mm drill bit. Problem is, as far as I can find, that size is only offered in a straight shank, meaning the part that goes into the drill chuck is 13.3 mm. That means you have to have a drill chuck capable of holding a 5/8 drill bit.
Appreciate it...
Thankfully both my self tightening chucks hold up to 5/8

Curly

Near the end of this thread getting some made in China was discussed. If jick wu can find a maker there they should cost less than what is available. Because of the Chinese New Year holiday it might take a few weeks before he has an answer.

1shootist

Near the end of this thread getting some made in China was discussed. If jick wu can find a maker there they should cost less than what is available. Because of the Chinese New Year holiday it might take a few weeks before he has an answer.
Yes sir,
I spoke with him yesterday I believe it was. I sent him some requested additional information on triple dies. He said all manufacturing factories are on ordered vacation due to whats going on over there now so it will be after they reopen before he can proceed.

Jarod888

Ive sent him some info too. Hopefully, they will be able to get these made well. If not I think it may be time to start another group buy. I would consider running it, but I'll have to sort out all the peculiars. I would just hope we could get enough folks interested to get the taps and dies down to a reasonable cost.

jick wu

Yes, I am talking with the factory. Although they know the taps, they have not made such specifications. It is not clear whether it is double-start or only the tap is triple-start. The factory hopes that I can provide samples so that the error produced is zero. I can pay the deposit and freight. Whoever has the extra taps and molds will send me a set, the specifications are not limited, and they will be returned after completion. The factory gave me an estimated price of $ 60. This type of tap is harder to grind than an ordinary tap, and the material is M35 HSSE. The final price depends on the sample.

Thank you all here,

panchos61

Yes, I am talking with the factory. Although they know the taps, they have not made such specifications. It is not clear whether it is double-start or only the tap is triple-start. The factory hopes that I can provide samples so that the error produced is zero. I can pay the deposit and freight. Whoever has the extra taps and molds will send me a set, the specifications are not limited, and they will be returned after completion. The factory gave me an estimated price of $ 60. This type of tap is harder to grind than an ordinary tap, and the material is M35 HSSE. The final price depends on the sample.

Thank you all here,

Please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

erichardson

Ive sent him some info too. Hopefully, they will be able to get these made well. If not I think it may be time to start another group buy. I would consider running it, but I'll have to sort out all the peculiars. I would just hope we could get enough folks interested to get the taps and dies down to a reasonable cost.
I'm interested in a group buy

Top Bottom