looking for high temperature resistant resin/equivalent for blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

quns

Hi

I am wondering if there is a type of resin or equivalent for making blanks that will result in the finished product being heat resistant to around 430F?

Thanks for any information.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

If I had a need to know that information I would gather several resin samples and put them in an oven at 450 degrees for half an hour or so. I suspect that some of the likely survivors might be Tru-Stone and Krinite. But a urethane resin, ploy resin, epoxy might make it too. Most if not all woods would probably survive as well.

The ink should be of more concern than the resin. I think most ball point and rollerball refills will leak at that temp.

I could send you a bag of reject turned pen sections to bake if you want to try. The metal may expand more than the resin and cause them to split.

Last edited:

More4dan

There are some expoxy adhesives rated to 450 F. They are not clear though, most I've seen are black or grey.
There is Bakelite that is a thermoset plastic that is good above 450. Many Silicons are good to 600 F.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Terredax

Banned
Most epoxies that are rated to that temperature are filled. Usually with quartz, carbon fiber, and even ceramic. These can be resistant to 1500 degrees but, typically require special equipment, and would prove difficult for use in pens.

Silicone isn't resin but, is heat resistant. Again, not a pen material on it's own.

its_virgil

Check the MSDS sheets for various resins. Lots of useful information including data about temperatures.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

QUOTE=quns;2023552]Great information thank you everyone. Helps a lot.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom