Looking for assistance casting coral snake blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gr8macbeth

Hello Everyone,

I just acquired a small coral snake (18") that one of my neighbors killed in their yard yesterday. I am very interested in skinning it, and getting a couple of pen blanks made from the skin. Does anyone have any recommendations on skinning and prepping the snake skin? I am also looking for someone who can cast the blanks for me. I will pay for the casting, I just don't know who to talk to, and don't want to miss the opportunity to have some cool and rare pen blanks.

Thanks Joe.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Don Ward can tell you as much about this as anyone. There are a couple of others here that are good but Don Ward aka "its_Virgil" come immediately to mind. Contact him - or others if they respond.

Under "Members" above click on Members Search and type in Don Ward in the "Name". His email will pop up or send him a PM. In the mean time keep it in the refrigerator.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The best thing to do until you can skin it is to keep it in the freezer.
For info on skinning the snake download this from the library.
For info on ,making a snakeskin blank, this article will help.
To determine what size pen you can make you will need to measure the width of the skin between the margins of the belly scales. On a snake the size you have, it should be about an inch to an inch and a half. With a little care, you should be able to make a blank with a 3/8" tube. This will require the width to be, at a minimum, 1-1/4".
I see you are in San Antonio. Can't think of anyone offhand in SA that casts snake skin. If you were a little closer to Houston, you could come by my shop. Don Ward and Seamus Rooney are both in Wichita Falls.

Top Bottom