Which kit to use: black or copper with black

• black

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • copper/black

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ray-CA

This is a thyua burl with ebony and copper blank. I can't decide which kit to use to assemble this pen. I have an all black EDC kit and a copper/black kit.

As always, thanks

Ray 20230409_123744.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I will say this that over the years I have used copper kits and they did not hold up well. Now maybe over time they developed a better coating on the plating parts and this is all a moot point. Being that copper and black kit has the copper parts away from every day use it probably will hold up well That would be my choice too. These black painted kits I have not yet had any problems. But I use to use the Sierra and the cigar line of all copper kits and they were the ones that wore off. I used one as an everyday user and did not want to show anyone it after awhile.

IMGP0603.JPG

magpens

I agree with the others, and would favor the copper and black kit with the blank that you show.

Aesthetically, I predict that the result of that combination will be STUNNING ! !

By the way, did you make that blank ? . . . If not, where did you get it ?

keithbyrd

IMHO the black kit is a superior kit but on the surface the back and copper will look better. However the black kit will look great also.

Ray-CA

I agree with the others, and would favor the copper and black kit with the blank that you show.

Aesthetically, I predict that the result of that combination will be STUNNING ! !

By the way, did you make that blank ? . . . If not, where did you get it ?
Yes, I did make the blank. Copper sheet from Hobby Lobby, 1/8th inch ebony and thyua burl.

Fine Engineer

I think the all black kit would look pretty good, but would look better with some really dark wood so that the coper segments would be akin to pinstripes; subtle contrasting elements to a fairly uniformly dark pen.
With that wood though, the coper would look better as it is then ties the wood to the metal elements of the pen. And the red in that wood ties in great to the copper.
Nice looking segmented element either way.

Top Bottom