Looking for advice please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Richard92

Having just produced this first pair on another of Ken's great jigs looking for your thought. They are 20mm sq the tubes shown are for the Beaufort ink Sirroco twist pen. My thought is I could get 4 pens out of this with the tubes about were they are shown. Would you go along that path or one pen out of each. I have no idea what these will look like when finished.
There is still enough meat on them to put a good scallop and more.
Any input at all welcome.

Attachments

• 20200808_193816.jpg
    20200808_193816.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I would first try one pen per blank long enough to display the entire length of the pattern (at least one on of them). However, my suggestion wouldn't work on a Sirocco. Very nice work!

jttheclockman

Absolutely not. That design is meant for a one tube kit something on the basis of a Zen kit. Not sure what the length of the design is bt maybe you can get on a sierra style kit. Cut the design in half and you destroyed the look. Good luck.

KenB259

I made a similar blank awhile ago and I wasn't happy at all with it. It actually spilt into two off centered Celtic knots.

magpens

I would say that those blanks are not suitable for the Sirocco, which has a brass tube length of only 2.21"

You need to measure the patterned length and choose a pen kit with a barrel length at least that long ... preferably even 10% longer or more.
I think that would mean a single barrel pen kit with a barrel about 3.25"+ long or so ... my guesstimate based on what I see in your photo.

And even then, if you have to turn the blank down a fair bit the result may not be what you might expect. . A fatter final diameter would be better.
The final appearance will depend on the details of construction and the internal segmentation.

Take a warning from Ken's dissatisfaction with his results for a similar looking starting blank.

Richard92

Taken all advice in thanks now on the hunt for a UK pen kit that will incorporate the whole segmented area or close to it. I dont want to turn one untill I know the tube drill size.

Last edited:

Richard92

Needed to see if the design was any good before ordering the TM Athena click pens. Drilled to correct size for tubes and a mm extra each end. Have turned this one to round and I think this is a winner,well I am more than happy with it. I will put a photo on when complete. Not sure if videos work so picture as well.
Again thanks guys for your guidance.

Attachments

• 20200810_095811.mp4
    18.6 MB
  • 15970506426649059083245625322040.jpg
    15970506426649059083245625322040.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 113

Dieseldoc

You got to start some time to get a feel of what looks best for your design. Not always the first or ever repeat try's works out. However that is what the fun part of making design blanks.
I think your first round was good, keep going and you will get there.
Look forward see you pen's.

jttheclockman

What Charlie said is so true. The more you get into segmenting the more you will experiment and your eye will tell you what looks good and what does not. Then you go from there. I agree this did turn well and deserves a pen kit.

Richard92

Understand what you guys are saying and appreciate your input. Coming on this site as been really great for knowledge from people with years of pen turning knowledge.
Next couple of days the kits will arrive and I can get them finished and show you guys.

magpens

VERY NICE, indeed !!!!!

Thanks for sharing your outstanding creativity !!!!

That style of segmenting is really innovative and attractive !!!!

Top Bottom