Looking for advice on inlay issues...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobbyD

I'm open for any/all suggestions...

This is my first inlay project, and it's not turning out the way I had hoped. The inlay pieces didn't seem to fit properly, some were too tight, others too loose....
The photos show some of the gaps in fitting, at the top of the "V" the brass tube is just barely visible at the right angle. Some of the pieces were originally sticking up too high, so I sanded it down on the lathe in order to hopefully prevent "chipping" them out whilst turning with chisel. Hoped to avoid any piece catching on the blade...

I feel I'm almost ready for turning, but want to fill the gaps...

Should I fill the gaps before turning, or after (and prior to final sanding)?
How and what to fill the gaps with? Thin, Medium, or Thick CA? Clear Epoxy? Wood filler?
I don't have any "dust" from it, because it came pre-tubed and rounded, but plenty of dust from other projects....
Try to match the color, or intentionally contrast?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance...
Bob

Attachments

• 20210728_111639.jpg
    20210728_111639.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210728_111710.jpg
    20210728_111710.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 100

magpens

@BobbyD
I have made a large number of pens using laser-cut inlay blanks from Kallenshaan and from Lazerlinez.

I use thin CA to completely fill the gaps ( as completely as is possible ) during assembly of the pieces and BEFORE turning.
I sand down before starting to turn, just as you have done. . This is to get a uniform surface ( as close as possible ).
After the sanding, I again apply more thin CA just to fill any gaps that might have become exposed by the sanding.

You mention some big gaps through which you can see the brass tube ....... after assembly.
Such gaps are rather awkward. . . You do want to fill them in some way if you can ..... I would suggest sawdust.

These gaps will fill a little bit if you do the sanding before applying any CA.

During the sanding some dust will go into the gaps. . Try to get dust to go into the gaps and then apply CA.
This is a hit-and-miss process, but it often works fairly well.

That's the best suggestion I can offer for filling the gap .... I realize it is an important concern.

JohnU

I use thin CA also to fill them all prior to turning. I think it helps hold them all together. First I color my tubes black with a sharpie marker so you don't see the brass tubes if there's an open gap. I check the blank as I turn it and often reapply thin ca as I go, and use a ca finish after sanding. I like Gluboost for this because it fills nicely and drys quickly with the gludry so I don't have a lot of drying time during the process.

Top Bottom