looking for a turner who can make a coffee tamper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rccrazybill

rccrazybill

A customer of mine asked me if I could find someone who can make a coffee tamper for him out of desert ironwood. If anyone can do this please let me know and i will send him your email so you can discuss it. I cannot make one , actually I do not even know what a coffee tamper is. I guess it is some sort of mill or grinder but i am probably wrong[:0]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I've got a chunk of DI big enough to do this. Haven't turned a tamper before but it seems pretty easy. Not cheap though. That would be about 9 blanks worth of DI.

Penhead is right, though. Googling for "'Desert Ironwood' coffee tamper" came up with several hits of ready made tampers.

If he really doesn't want any of them, feel free to email me.

GK

rlharding

You will need to know the size the customer wants based on the size of their coffee grounds holder. I think you would be able to do it because they are not that difficult. If it's for an espresso machine, which I assume it is, it will be quite small. I would think it would take much less than 9 blanks - possibly only 4 to make the initial cylinder shape then shape the bottom to size and the tip to something that will fit in the palm of a hand nicely. Just like spindle turning.

Coffee tampers are just compactors - not the building kind. You tamp the top of ground coffee to make it more compact. This makes the water run more slowly over the ground coffee so that you get the correct brewing time.

titan2

Originally posted by rlharding

You will need to know the size the customer wants based on the size of their coffee grounds holder. I think you would be able to do it because they are not that difficult. If it's for an espresso machine, which I assume it is, it will be quite small. I would think it would take much less than 9 blanks - possibly only 4 to make the initial cylinder shape then shape the bottom to size and the tip to something that will fit in the palm of a hand nicely. Just like spindle turning.

Go and buy the base from http://www.coffeetamper.com/ and turn the handle......that should be easy enough!

Top Bottom