Looking for a teacher

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been turning pens for a couple of years at this point and am looking to evolve further. I am seeking someone to come alongside me and teach me the custom kitless side of the pen turning. Someone who will work with me step-by-step to really teach me the why behind everything as well as all that is involved from tools to dies to materials used.

It is clear that the custom kitless has a lot of different tools and techniques than regular turning. At the same time it is a big change and I don't really know where to begin and I see people saying get this or that and do this or that. What I need is someone to truly mentor me in this endeavour and not the general forum posts that don't really help me personally.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

floatslow

I had the good fortune to have had a session with Jim Hinze from Hinze pens at the SoCal Turners Expo. My before and after kitless pens are night and day.

I have a write up of my process (tool, speed, sequence, dimensions) and relied on the notes from this site and the Beaufort ink write up to get started.

Best of luck

larrystephens

I had the good fortune to have had a session with Jim Hinze from Hinze pens at the SoCal Turners Expo. My before and after kitless pens are night and day.

I have a write up of my process (tool, speed, sequence, dimensions) and relied on the notes from this site and the Beaufort ink write up to get started.

Best of luck
Can you help me find your write up?

KateHarrow

I have been turning pens for a couple of years at this point and am looking to evolve further. I am seeking someone to come alongside me and teach me the custom kitless side of the pen turning. Someone who will work with me step-by-step to really teach me the why behind everything as well as all that is involved from tools to dies to materials used.

It is clear that the custom kitless has a lot of different tools and techniques than regular turning. At the same time it is a big change and I don't really know where to begin and I see people saying get this or that and do this or that. What I need is someone to truly mentor me in this endeavour and not the general forum posts that don't really help me personally.
Come to the Mid Atlantic Turners Expo in April and take a class!

floatslow

Can you help me find your write up?
Clarification is that this write up is what I have on my wall by the lathe, I had not posted on the site previously. They are my distilled notes from research and learnings. For these instructions I use the tools listed below. Also, this is all sized for M13 cap-body threads.
1. Tenon Cutter tool (Turner's Warehouse/ Hinze Pens) | (Cut tenons by hand otherwise, and omit all of the 6mm drill operations)
2. Magic Juice polishing compound (Stadium Blanks)
3. M13x0.8T Tap and Die
4. M10x1 Tap and Die
5. 6mm bit
7. 8.3mm bit (Beaufort Ink)
8. 9mm bit
9. 7.5mm bit
10. 8.7mm bit
11. 12.2mm bit
12. 35/64" bit
13. pilot bit
14. ER32 Collet set
15. Mandrel Set (Hinze Pens/ Beaufort Ink)

Have fun/ good luck

Attachments

• Byers Bespoke Pen Recipe - metric.pdf
    223.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Fountain_Pen_Drill_Chart-BYERS-4Q2022 FLOATSLOW.pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 172

hooked

Who can explane what is no 13 a pilot bit. I have tried google to search on pictures. But that dit not give me a proper explanation.
I use a #2 center drill.

1670694441204.png

POH78

Jim Hinze jim@hinzepens.com

Top Bottom