Looking for a small bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

Does anyone have any experience with the Craftsman 10" bandsaw? I need one for cutting pen blanks to length and might use it in the future to make segmented blanks. I believe that my miter/chop saw is a little bit of overkill and it takes too much wood/acrylic with it when I cut. I would rather have something a little smaller so I can save some of the 'pieces' from my cutting. I currently have an OLD B&D 7-1/2" saw that has no ability for a fence and no miter slot. It can't cut a straight line no matter what kind of jig, etc. I build. I am thinking of the Craftsman with a 1/2" blade which, I hope, would be able to cut a 'close to straight' line on a 3/4" blank. Any ideas, thoughts, and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leestoresund

bandsaw

I had a 10" bandsaw once. Got rid of it as soon as I could.
First, the quality was not very good. I think I got it from Builders Square when it was around.
Most important, because the wheels are so small the blade flexes more and wears out rapidly.

FWIW I just bought the little orange saw from HF for $23 just for cutting pen blanks and tubes. It works very well for that but I have no idea how long it will last. I got a catalog from someone else (PSI?) that was selling the same tool for $50

Lee

stolicky

I have the 10" Craftsman band saw. For cutting small things here and there it is very handy. I got the 14" Rikon Deluxe last fall and decided to keep the 10" one around be cause it is nice for small things. I trim all of my pen blanks with it.

With that said, my experience says that you may have difficultly in getting nice, precision cuts out of it. However, my experience has only been with craftsman blades which are pretty (okay, maybe very) bad. A nice blade may make all the difference. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a nice bi-metal blade for it.

One other thing that happened recently is that I tried to put a 1/4" blade on it for the first time and had a really hard time adjusting the balance and tension. I had previously only use a 3/8" blade. When I got the Rikon last fall I bought the Bandsaw book by Lonnie Bird, and read the whole thing (I don't usually read very much) in an attempt to learn how to properly use and adjust band saws.

I think its a decent saw for that size, especially if you compare it to the virtually identically (and pricier) 10" Rikon that recently came out. The ball bearing guides and cast iron top are also nice features.

Sorry if I clouded your decision making process. Its handy, but made for small things and light work. Maybe someone who has had experience with nicer blades will chime in here. On a side note, I recently read on Highland's Web site that they put one of their "Wood Slicer" blades on the new Rikon 10", and it performed really well. I do have a hard time believing that a 10" band saw could properly tension a 1/2' blade, but that was definitely a positive note to see.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have a delta 9 in and i us it a lot for quick cuts. A sharp blade helps a lot. I have a larger band saw for other uses but for trimming blanks close or small patterns I use the Delta I keep a 1/4 blade on the Delta as a general use blade.

Bree

I once had a small bandsaw. Then the word RESAW somehow got into my mind. That jumped me to a 14" right off the bat. Quite frankly I would like to go to an 18" or 20" if I could figure out where to put the darn thing.

The bandsaw is one of the most used and highly valued tools in my shop. At the prices you can get them for these days, don't skimp. Get yourself a good 14" saw. You won't regret it. The Grizzly Ultimate Bandsaw is what I have and it's a great saw and a great buy. There are lots of other quality saws around. Do your research, save your nickels and dimes and give yourself a treat with a nice 14" or larger bandsaw!
My $.02
:cool::cool::cool:

latelearner

I just sold a 10" Craftsman and it was adequate for small projects at best. From my experience with it, the 1/2" blade would be your best bet. The only reason for getting rid of it was I came across a good deal on a 17" model.

snyiper

I have had 2 -10 in craftsman band saws. I sold one and kept one only because it cuts small stuff ok. It has a miter slot but its worthless the blade always curves. For segmenting I purchased a hand miter saw not that I am any good yet but it is easier to get a straight cut and duplicate it. I as a User say no not worth the money...Im sorry but Im looking at getting a larger grizzly for straight cutting. I also have the Band saw book Too many high end pieces needed on a mediocre saw to justify the cost. Ill sell it and get a larger one . If you are dead set on it buy used it doesn't hurt as bad when it wont cut straight!! Im looking at a harbor freight 6in Electric miter saw for segments and a sled for the Table saw for cutting blanks!!

sparhawk

If you decide to get a bigger saw Home Depot hasa the 14"ridgid marked down from $364 to$184. I bought one about a year ago and love it. Also has lifetime warranty if you register the tool online.

Woodlvr

I was informed that the 10" Craftsman is made by Rikon, my friend works at WC and he was trying to help me save some money. I went to Sears and dod not like the 10" saw that was there, then realized that they had very old stock out for display. The Rikon / Craftsman has a blade tension release and that is very appealing to me. I have a 14" Ridgid with the riser and get tired of changing blades.

ossaguy

I really like my new Jet 10 inch bandsaw.I know it costs way more,but it just seemed better built than the Craftsman.I've only used it to cut blanks from boards and cut and trim other blanks,and a few plywood pieces,but it cuts really straight.

I made an extender that attaches to the sliding miter guage so if I have to trim like an 1/8 inch off the end,I don't have to do it free-hand,so that gives me a nice square cut.I wondered why they didn't do that to begin with?

I bought an assortment of Timberwolf blades,but have not tried them yet.They are priced right,and other guys recommended them so that's what I got.

I would have liked a full sized one,but have such a tiny space and only planned on little projects,so for me,a 10 incher is just right.

I know it doesn't answer the question on the Craftsman saw,but thought I'd share my experience.This model is too new,so I couldn't find a used one.

Steve
San Diego

Different approach

For very accurate and clean cuts and making thin strips for laminating as well as cutting for the celtic knot I use a Proxxon modelling circular saw.

This only has a maximum depth of cut of 22mm but it is perfect for small pieces of wood used in pen making. It is not cheap (ie 350GBP) but you are getting top quality German engineering.

When cutting laminates I do not have to sand the wood at all and can glue them in total confidence.

This is a link

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Proxxon-FKS-E-Table-Saw-20020.htm

When preparing pen blanks I use a "normal" table and bandsaw but if I want perfectly square blanks I then use this Proxxon saw.

I hope this is helpful but it is just the way I do it.

Sean

www.aberfanturning.co.uk

leestoresund

10" bandsaw

I don't know how much the bandsaw you were looking at cost but HIghland Woodworking has a Rikon 10: bandssaw on sale for $199.

Lee

Woodlvr

Wow Lee, That is a great price. Woodcraft has the Rikon 10" for $299. But with shipping I would probably pay the $299 anyway. Thanks for the info. The Ridgid rep at HD told me that the new models should be in the stores around the 22nd of Feb.

ryankelley

I have the CM 10", I use timberwolf blades and have never had a problem. It is my first BS so take the opinion for what it is. But it has done everything I've needed. Mostly small work; resaw is limited and the tilt on the table could be smoother. If you can afford big go big you'll wish you'd had in 6 months.

rbooher7526

Craftsman Band Saw

I have the Craftsman 11" bench top band saw with 1/3 hp. :eek: %*&! thing isn't good for much more than cutting the end of a blank off. I've been looking for a larger one, Tomorrow I will visit Home Depot and see if they have lost their minds and put the 14" on clearance here, Otherwise I'm watching a Delta 14" on Craigslist.

rbooher7526

Wow Lee, That is a great price. Woodcraft has the Rikon 10" for $299. But with shipping I would probably pay the $299 anyway. Thanks for the info. The Ridgid rep at HD told me that the new models should be in the stores around the 22nd of Feb.

Hold on and wait - Woodcraft had the 10" Rikon for $199 at Christmas.:)

Top Bottom