Looking for a Past Design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

I'm hoping someone here remembers this pen and can lead me to the photos or post of it. I have seen this a couple of times, and want to try making the design myself, but can't seem to find it now that I need it (a familiar dilemma).

It was done in stark black and white (ebony and synthetic ivory or something similar). It looked like the blank was segmented on a diagonal, then cut into 4 sections and each turned 90° or something like that. I think the pattern was duplicated on the top and bottom sections of the pen. I could swear it was a Skiprat design, but a search of this site and his turned up nothing.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any idea who did it, or where a photo of it may be? Any help would be much appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

JT Classic

jttheclockman

I'm hoping someone here remembers this pen and can lead me to the photos or post of it. I have seen this a couple of times, and want to try making the design myself, but can't seem to find it now that I need it (a familiar dilemma).

It was done in stark black and white (ebony and synthetic ivory or something similar). It looked like the blank was segmented on a diagonal, then cut into 4 sections and each turned 90° or something like that. I think the pattern was duplicated on the top and bottom sections of the pen. I could swear it was a Skiprat design, but a search of this site and his turned up nothing.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any idea who did it, or where a photo of it may be? Any help would be much appreciated.
If it is mine that Rod linked to, and you want any questions answered, feel free to post and I will be glad to assist in any way. Some questions were answered within that thread. As I closed that thread out I did mention that was the last pen that came out of my shop and it was. The kitchen and bath project got done by Feb. The last project that I have contractors coming in for is to refinish 2 rooms with oak floors. They come next week. Then I have some surgery to lock in and hopefully will be able to play in my shop this winter. Have some cool pen designs to make that I think will be liked by some here. Variety of segmented, casted and also some straight forward beautiful wood pens. One pen I used some material that should bring back some memories of the older members here that was popular back then. Stay tuned.:)

Last edited:

Fine Engineer

This?

I'll admit that I am having a hard time understanding your description.
It is tough to describe. Think of doing a normal miter cut on a blank, so that say the top is black and the bottom is white with a 45° cut separating the two. Then cut it lengthwise into 4 parts. Then rotate each of the ~1/4" x 1/4" x 5-1/4" sticks and reglue them back together to form a blank. I hope that helps.

I think there may have been more to it than that which is why I want to find the photo.

jttheclockman

It is tough to describe. Think of doing a normal miter cut on a blank, so that say the top is black and the bottom is white with a 45° cut separating the two. Then cut it lengthwise into 4 parts. Then rotate each of the ~1/4" x 1/4" x 5-1/4" sticks and reglue them back together to form a blank. I hope that helps.

I think there may have been more to it than that which is why I want to find the photo.
Sorry but you did not read all the replys and click all the links.:)

So once again is this the one you are looking for? Also check out my reply #6 in this thread.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/a-segmented-panache-pen.172089/

Fine Engineer

Sorry but you did not read all the replys and click all the links.:)

So once again is this the one you are looking for? Also check out my reply #6 in this thread.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/a-segmented-panache-pen.172089/
That's it! Thanks. And I apologize for attributing this to another pan maker.
Mine won't be quite as intricate as this, but I really liked the idea.

I was on the right track with the cuts, but the curves after turning threw me. Mine is maple and black walnut, and will be used for a Diamond Knurl kit. I'll post pics when it's finished.

Thanks again.

jttheclockman

That's it! Thanks. And I apologize for attributing this to another pan maker.
Mine won't be quite as intricate as this, but I really liked the idea.

I was on the right track with the cuts, but the curves after turning threw me. Mine is maple and black walnut, and will be used for a Diamond Knurl kit. I'll post pics when it's finished.

Thanks again.
Look forward to seeing it.

Top Bottom